Boomer's bad elbow

( edit note: I tried to post this I guess when the crash happened, but if the post went thru and the moderator canned this post for some reason, then fine.. I'm not tryin to fight the power by re-posting it)

I took boomer in for X rays as he continues to be lame on and off again for 2 months now. Good news/ bad news. The problem is clearly in his right front leg. The elbow is deriorated pretty bad. The doctor said it was like a displasia but since he is older its more a result of arthritis. Officially she wrote down "fragmented coronoid process" in the right front elbow.

the good news is both shoulders and the left elbow are in good condition. I saw the x ray myself and yes the poor guy has a messed up right elbow for sure. Pain management and continued supplements is the presciption. I have more pain pills. i have to make a step or box for him to get out of the truck. poor guy has been hesitant about jumping down from the back seat for months now.....probably been painfull all this time.

good news too the Doctors said that although he probably will get a little worse over time, most likely he will be able to live a normal life. I can let him run on it or play as long as he wants too and if he gets all sore and lame then I can give him the pain pill to brighten his next day. also we may start to give him some mild pain stuff regulary.

so there it is, I thought I would post it here in the SW forum for those who ride with us. Bigbob, boomer and the Wolf. what a team!! :D?

send cards and flowers to lame brain the dog who just cost me another $190 bucks. i told him a 22 bullet to the head would be cheaper....my head for letting him jump down the truck all these months. ??

Bob, how old is Boomer? I have a Lab that was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia when he was about a year old. He had a really pronounced limp. I took him to UC Davis and they did orthroscopic surgery on him. After a couple of months to recuperate he was good as new. That was two years ago and he hunts(pheasants), runs like a fool constantly and shows no signs of it recurring. The downside was the cost, $1800 ? but it was worth it since he's a better friend than any human could be. If Boomer is not to old they may be able to fix him up, those vets are fantastic. The only other catch is you have to get your vet to give you a referral for the orthopedic dept. in order to get him seen. Good luck with him, I know how painful it is to see your buddy hurting.

Joe

rotty looks like a cool dog. ?

Boomer is 11 & 1/2 yrs old. he has been fine all his life no dyplasia or nothing. a very healthy and active dog. Now since about 10 he has started to slow down and move slowly like any older dog, but this lameness came on quick just 2 months ago like it was an injury. he hobbles on it often not every day but 3-4 days a week and he wants to run but stops after half a block of a hobble step run thing...then he just walks slowly but he walks.

the doc didn't say it was dyplasia but she used that term loosely to help me understand the effect on the dog I guess...she said this thing he has this dererioration is old age caused/ arthritis too but in a way its caused a diplasia type of efect and its painful for him and the bone is kinda rotten at the joint as it looked all irrregular in the X ray and is very similar to elbow diplasia that iF a young dog got it it could make him lame in 2 years.

but boomer is old and she suspects he won't go lame, just get some worse, but he is still allowed to play as much as he can take...that play wont make it worse....so its all about pain management from here.

thanks for asking. yup the old guy is past surgery. nor would it help him.

hoping for a couple more years. he is a Golden retriver..so I allwasy knew 12-13 yrs would be a good long life for him.

Hey Bob, that's too bad that it's not something that would go away, or could be fixed. He really looked like he was feeling good last Saturday, so I kind of figured that he might have gotten over whatever had been ailing him. Like you said though, at least he can still do whatever he feels good enough to do, rather than having to restrict his activity.

One of these days you'll have to bring him up to my place and let him romp around my two acres with my two dogs, one of which is a Golden also, and as long as they're getting along and all we could sneak off to Elkins and do some romping around of our own. ?

Bob, I will make sure when I bring Buck to Clear Creek that the dogs only play for a very short time so Boomer doesn't get sore ? glad to hear he is doing OK.

When it comes to our pets people go crazy, I had a dog for 20 years (yes believe it or not 20 years) it had to be a record of some sort, she was a keesehound and the love of my life.

My dog managed to live through 3 wives and 2 kids during her long life. ?

during the last 2 years of her life I had to keep an area of the house where she slept without carpet because she would have accidents while she slept. As long as my dog wasn't in pain I wasn't going to put her down, like I said she managed to live 20 years and by god I wasn't about to put her down as long as she could get around on her own. one night she had a major seizure and I was left with no choice but to put her down myself. nothing harder in the world than having to put a bullet in someone you loved weather they were human or not.

Today I have a big 2 year old Lab and I know with certain the day will come when the pain pills and all the other crap that comes along with a dog aging begins to happen until I will enjoy everyday I have.

thats a tuff story, but you did the right thing by your dog Rich. I'm mentally now getting prepared to go the distance with boomer too.

I'm also cussing him out. the damn big lug has been squeezing big worry out of me for 2 months now and all he has is a sore elbow? damn no good laying around rug dog. I was thinking since the hobbling came on so sudden that for sure he has some cancer or a messed up shoulder at least. and all he has is just a little messed up elbow? probbably from chasing tennis balls too eagerly.

i feel better - I know its sore for him, but at least I know what it's not.

yeah i have to come up with a big long box or step ramp thing to get him in and out of the back seat.

surgery not an option for "elbow dysplasia", and probably not an option for "fragmented coronoid process", in an older dog with advanced arthritis. Surgery for these problems done in younger dogs to help prevent/minimize arthritis later in life.

Non-steroidal anti inflammatories, rest, ramp, glucosamine....if those aren't doing enough for him, ask your vet about Adequan injections.

Arthritis happens...

Bob, could you or anyone else be coerced to Moonrocks this weekend?

Pete

moonrocks the word is its still snowed in............. we have to get to Unkle Moose he knows a guy who took pictures on Monday. i talked ith UM on sunday and he ahd cancelled his moonrocks weekend this weekend due to snow.

Two issues. Is moonrocks rideable? and with this storm is donner pass passable?