cure for compression braking?

? Hey guys! I recently switched from a 03 525 to a 04 te 510 and have finaly got all the settings right. But, now I have a new problem. Compression brakeing, I'm not used to such strong brakeing, and I am realy noticeing it now that everything else is so smooth, mostlly on long rides, in whoops. I find myself wanting to just throw it away.What are my options and what is a flipper clutch? German ?undefined

Mate its called a slipper clutch,all the rage in Moto GP,it allows you to bang

down gears and not lock the rear wheel,with high compression pistons there

is as you found a lot of engine braking.Dont know if it would work or be needed in the dirt.A good 4 stroke technique is to ride a gear higher than you

think is required,ride the toque,they like to be floated with high corner speed.

I would have said that there would be enough slip in the dirt to brake slide

without locking the rear.Having said that slipper clutches are available for Husky they use them in Supermotad,there is a dealer in England?

Thanx for the reply, I've got a lot of the run around lately. That's straight to the point. My ktm never gave me this much com. braking I really notice it in long sections of whoops when I'm tired, Especially with new rubber How does ktm limit the grab of comp? May be I'll just get used to it. German

German,

A couple things you could try.

Gear the 510 up a bit, there is more then enough power to pull higher gearing and the stock gear box is pretty close ratio. First is so low is is pretty much useless. Going to a 15T counter sprocket would help streatch out each gear a bit.

Also try turning up your idle speed, not too much but it can help.

Last you could try a Auto clutch, like Rekluse and set it with a higher stall speed.

William

How does ktm limit the grab of comp? May be I'll just get used to it. German

Not only is the compression braking effect caused by the engines compression, cam profile and timing also has a large impact.

I ride a 400exc, a 200exc, an xr400 and a trials bike. You couldn't hardly get a bigger difference than that and it doesn't bother me. I just change my riding technique.

You guys probubly know it but are talking about two different things here:

Slipper clutch is one that engages and disengages normally, but slipps when you downshift for a corner rather than skid the tire. This was developed in road racing and I think common in Motard?

Centrificle clutch such as the Recluse is released at idle and engages as the RPM comes up and is mostly favored in trail riding.

I know I am a minority opionion on the one but everytime I ride a 4 stroke with a centrificle I get the feeling I might as well be on a two stroke. The primary only place I find a 4 stroke to be an advantage is when traction is rare, the ability to lug the engine right down to a crawl, have sufficent power to pull thru yet not enough to spin the tire, the centrificile is released at that point. If I had a 2 stroke I would have one of those! 4 stroke, I will just ride with two fingers over the lever.

Hey I'm throughly impressed! ? Outside of the guy that called me an IDIOT I am appreciative. This sight has already stoked me out, I switched to Hus because I like to be a step ahead of the main stream and weekend warriors. It seems like every body and their brother is now on a ktm, No offense I love the things, I probably got in to a rut riding one bike for two years, I've really tried to tough it out, and I will prevail. But it sux when your buddies do a test ride and return with a confused look on their face. "Crazy power, but almost went over the bars when I got off the throttle! Thanks again!

I agree. When I got on a 2 smoke I miss it. given some time you will learn how to use it to your advantage.

Have to say, I kinda like it. Helps me out when I get tired and can't uncurl my hands from the bars to grab the front brake ?