Sign in to follow this  

Watercooled CRF150/230 Is this possible?

Could this engine be bolted into your CRF? I think the chances that it may bolt up are good.

honda-cr230f-01-bikepics-292503.jpg

If so will the sprockets line up? :)

How cool would it be to have that radiator tucked up under those fake cooling shrouds? :)

I have been in contact with a distributor that told me that his importer can get them here on the next shipment, provided there is an order for 10 or more.

Spare parts were not discussed.

Main technical specifications:

Engine model: LIFAN 163ML-2

Type: single-cylinder,water-cooled,four-stroke,hand-clutch

Start Mode: electric starter/kick-starter

Bore (mm): 63.5

Stroke (mm): 62.2

Displacement (ml): 197.0

Compression ratio: 10.16:1

Ignition: CDI

Lubrication Mode: Pressure-splashed

Max.power (kw/r/min): 12.5/8000

Rated Power(kw/r/min): 11.0/8000

Max.torque (N.m/r/min): 15.0/6000

Min.fuel comsumption (g/kw.h): ≤354

Idle (r/min): 1500

N.W (kg): 30

Dimension(mm): 350×335×420

Any interest??....Karl

If you race.... water/oil cooled engines aren't allowed in the mini four-stroke classes here. I run mine at Washougal and other large outdoor tracks in the summer and haven't had a problem with too much heat. If anything, it is important to get it up to operating temp. b-4 you go out and get on it. Are you having a cooling problem ??

if your bike really needed water cooling Honda would build them with water cooling.

Your right! If there was an overheating problem after 30+years, Honda would have spent tons of money in continued development of their antiquated 2 valve vertical singles by water cooling them, developing fuel injection along with computer controlled engine management systems instead of throwing in the towel and giving up their patents and tooling to the Chinese. :)

One of us must be missing the point. This is a "cool factor" not a "cooling factor".

But then again, there may be some more power that can be squeezed out of the old 2V once over heating problems are under control....Karl

hey RfR, that's cool! Can you translate this? ---> fewophrtg erpiu4r er954 t4r#$^ vbntyu ^&I?$% Yytj^&Ir th% YW ^U56 y$%yRU5 6u$%RTY4 5^t6Y UTru y% ^Wy$%T4 56$%Y rtyuhtyuf ys h$% &Y^%YrtY!

:)

Karlznet,

I think the engine does look good, but would most certainly be an even easier swap into a CR80/85 chassis that is already configured for radiators.

I can't imagine where you'd find room to mount the one large radiator shown that appears to come with the engine, onto a CRF150 / 230.

From what I've seen of the Honda water cooled 150 pocket rocket, the cylinder appears to have a significant forward cant, that would probably prohibit its grafting into a CR or other dirt bike chassis easily.

Mike

Sure, hold on a sec, this might take me awhile..... :):p:D:)

est. 1000-2000 ????? I dunno, but the exchange rate is crazy, 20 usd can feed ya 4 2-3 weeks over there

I have discussed with The Lifan distributor how much interest would be needed in order to get his Lifan Importer to bring these watercooled engines into the US with his next order. Keep in mind that the Importer has to ship 1000 units total per shipment.

I was informed by the Distributor that the Importer required a minimum order of 10 units but we could possibly squeeze by with an order of 6. No price was discussed at the time but any possible transactions would be in US Dollars plus shipping. You don't even want to attempt to negotiate directly with the Lifan Group unless you are planning to fill an overseas container.

I posted the photo in order to see how much interest it would stir with the TT members interested in CR Mini conversions and CRF 150/230 or XR200 transplants.

Please keep in mind that it is only a photo and no one really knows if this engine actually has the exact engine mounting pattern to "bolt in" the CRF's or XR200. Also as Mike mentioned there may be a problem with space enough to hang that big one piece radiator in front of the engine. A CR conversion should be no problem with split coolers.

If there is enough interest I will continue forward in negotiating a price along with terms and a time frame for delivery....Karl

You should really talk to BBR & see if they just want to make their own bike with this power plant. Maybe they already have plans?

Hmmm... a water cooler in a 150/230 frame. Int'resting. My brain seems to work in the opposite direction(do I live in reverse? :) ). I would like/love to see/have an XR250 or XR400 (with electric/kick start) engine with lots of low end torque(for every type of trail riding) in a modern lightweight 250X-type frame. I love air cooled engines.

But this should be another thread, 'eh?

Living in the past.............

Hmmm... a water cooler in a 150/230 frame. Int'resting. My brain seems to work in the opposite direction(do I live in reverse? :p ). I would like/love to see/have an XR250 or XR400 (with electric/kick start) engine with lots of low end torque(for every type of trail riding) in a modern lightweight 250X-type frame. I love air cooled engines.

But this should be another thread, 'eh?

Living in the past.............

That would be my next bike if they made it! :)