Sign in to follow this  

d606 vs. mt-21?

Howdy thumpers! this is my first post! down to business, I have a 1990 DR250s

and I need to replace the rear tire, when I got the bike it had pirrelli mt-21's on both ends. The rear is now worn out and I want to replace it. i live in Michigan so i ride allot of sand and loose loamy soil. I've found the d-lop d606 easier to come by. so whats your opinion? witch one is best? i need a dot tire bring on other suggestions if you got'em! thanks :)

Ive had good luck with my Kenda K270s. They arent near as aggressive as the mt-21 or the 606, but I was surprised with how good they are on the street.

Whereabouts in Mich are you from? Im in Flint area myself

The MT21 might be better for your area, but the 606 will last longer. I like the Michelin Baja. It's like a 606 on steroids, wears like iron and is more aggressive.

p.s. and no name calling here, at least not on your second post ever, lol.

I much prefer the d606 for dirt over the mt21. But on a 250, I'm not sure the d606 or the Baja are available in a 110. A 120 would probably be too much tire.

Welcome to TT. See Tire Choices thread down the page a bit. :)

You could also do a search, there are a ton of what tire do you use posts.

Ive been happy with the Metz Karroo rear and Bridgestone E661 front in soft stuff.

Karoo rear: Hooks up well in the soft loamy stuff IMO.

I tried the front also, its a decent 50/50 tire, not the best in soft stuff.

11500061_MCE_Karoo.gif

E661 front & 660 rear, have not tried the rear, but the front is good in the soft stuff

and still has decent street manners with a good center contact patch.

ED661_660.jpg

My experience with the D606 has proved it's not the best sand tire. I does OK everywhere else and they do last a very long time. My WR 426 now has a Maxxis DOT knobby on the rear and I've noticed better hook up in sand. We will see how it wears compared to the D606. So far I don't have many miles on the Maxxis.

The MT-21 has an extremely stiff sidewall. I had an old Honda XL 250 with an MT-21 that ran with no air for about 200 miles. I never knew it since I was fire road cruising.

I ran a MT-21 rear on a DR 350 Suzuki and didn't like it. The rear would slide out unpredictably when cornering. The tire would hook back up when the bike was pitched futher out. This problem never showed up on the lower HP XL 250.

I live in Ypsilanti, but I ride all over. we are lucky to have such a nice trail system!

hmfff....i also noticed the slide out on my mt-21 clad dr250. ive heard stories about bikes ripping chunks off both these tires, unfortunatly for me,my main Dirtbike dosent have near the power for that.

thanks for all the responses,and to kiethco, Theres no reason for a post like Baddandy's I think he's just pissed casue he has nothing better to do! :)

So far I like the Maxxis 6006 on the rear of my XL. It hooks up pretty well in the slick mud and forest loam we get on mountain trails. And it seems to be a better street tire than the MT-21's I always ran in the past. I haven't been off road since I spooned a 6006 on the front. But I have a few highway miles on it and can say that it is definitely a better street tire than the MT-21.

Too bad a Terrflex won't fit your bike. Back in coastal SC that was the best sand tire I ever used.