Sign in to follow this  

XR80 thrown chain

I bought an old fixer upper 85 XR80 for the kids last night and when attempting to pull the fly wheel I discovered that at some time in its prior life it barfed the chain. This did some minor damage to the cover and case. The case does not leak some I am not worried about it. But I am trying to figure out what the little spring/post is between the fly wheel and the counter shaft. It looks like it could be damaged all I see is like a post with a bit of spring showing. Anyone familiar with this part and what it does? :)

thx

Can you take a pic of what your talking about? There is no post, just a flywheel cover, which probably took the brunt of the damage. As long as the case doesn't leak, it should be fine.

socal,

possibly an XL engine in the XR frame, and the neutral indicator switch is exposed ?

Takin,

If you can, write down the engine serial number, located just behind the shift shaft, and to the lower left of the countershaft sprocket shaft. That number will determine exactly what year and Model engine is in your bike. If you post that number here, I can cross-reference it with my Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide.

socal,

possibly an XL engine in the XR frame, and the neutral indicator switch is exposed ?

Takin,

If you can, write down the engine serial number, located just behind the shift shaft, and to the lower left of the countershaft sprocket shaft. That number will determine exactly what year and Model engine is in your bike. If you post that number here, I can cross-reference it with my Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide.

Okay -- this is my first attempt with a pic. XR802.jpg

You do indeed have a 1985 XR80, and that post is for the neutral indicator switch. If you had an XL, there would be a wire leading to that contact switch. It lights up the neutral indicator light on an XL, which is the street-legal version of the XR, it has headlights, blinkers, brake/taillight, speedometer, etc. etc.

On the XR, the neutral indicator switch serves no purpose, at all.

OUCH!!!!!!

What I would do is put the cover on and if there are any gaps, then I (OK Dave Miller) would weld those up. Mainly, to keep all the crap and water out of the stator and advancer mechanism.

Everything is cool now, I filled the gap with hi-temp silicone caulking (thank god for silicone) waited for it to set up, then installed the new cover. Works like a charm now.