Sign in to follow this  

What to look for??

Ok guy's Looking at a s/hand 04 crf 450. The bike has been raced and crashed as most bikes have. Thing is I know the guy and can get it at a good price. What do I need to look for that may be worn? It had a new piston/ring about 3 hours old and the valves all looked good. Had a look myself when it was apart. Bottom shock eye replaced, chain and sprockets ok

I guess what i'm asking is there any hidden things or week spots motor wise to look for. any set up tips. :)

Thanks in advance

i just brought one - looked at 10 or so before i did. I recomend looking until you find one that is in mint condition - look for basic things that indicate how much it has been looked after. eg: rattling foot pegs, gearshift lever head, kickstarter, clean airfilter, oil colour, fork seals/tubes, rims, bearings etc. I didn't know what to look for on a fourstroke as it was my 1st, but if it starts easily and has plenty of compression when it is hot and cold, you can't really check for a lot more without tearing it apart, and i'm sure the owner wouldn't really appreciate that. As far a setting it up - i got a taller seat, taller fatter handlebars and heavier fork springs (0.49, 375cc of oil). Its sweet as a nut now mate

Good luck, and don't settle for a shed just to ride, it may be worth the extra two weeks it takes to find a nice condtion bike.

Chris