Sign in to follow this  

Oil Questions-Bubbles/Consumption?

I have noticed that everytime I check my oil, I find small bubbles on the dipstick. I would hate to think that water is leaking into the head and mixing with the oil. Are the bubbles normal to see?

If I check my oil and find that after a while, the oil is low, is this normal? Does the oil eventually evaporate or maybe I just fill it up during the oil change and don't take into compensation that the oil will get low due to the filter and going everywhere else in the engine.

I don't know, maybe I am just being overly paranoid. The bike runs like a champ, is not losing any power and isn't smoking or leaking.

By the way, it's a 2000 DRZ-S model...Thanks.

Little bubbles are normal

If it gets water in the oil then the oil will go milky

You need to measure the oil level the way it seas in the manual

Otherwise you will get all types of readings

pd

Yes, it's a dry sump system and the oil bleds down into the engine as it sits there. Also, hot oil definately expands and this changes the reading. When i got my DRZS I noticed these large variations too, Now I check after a ride if it's a short one, or do the manual procedure before a long one. " Start the bike, let it idle a couple of minutes, stop the engine, let it sit for a couple of minutes, check oil level with the bike in a vertical position, don't screw the dipstick in for the reading".

I bet you find your bike doesn't use a drop of oil. :)

The times the manual gives for the procedure need to be followed or else you will get a false reading. If you go for a ride and want to check it after, allow it to sit for the recommended amount of time before checking it.

What 10guy said...and the timing is, according to the manual, 3 minutes run time from a cold start and then 3 minutes off, bike in vertical position, pull dip-stick and re-insert without engaging the threads. Anything other than this kinda pain in the a$$ procedure and you'll get readings all over the chart. I'll bet you find your bike doesn't use any oil at all between changes. Mine doesn't after over 5000 miles. Good luck... :)