Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy XR400?

Hi - my sons selling his quad and looking for a enduro (actually, street legal dirt bike). He is 18, 6'2'', 185 lbs., but a novice bike rider. We are possibly going to buy a 2001 XR400 this weekend. Any thing we should look for when we test drive it? He intends ot ride 80% trails and 20% street.

Are the XR400s hard to start? I had a XR600 (older one) that was impossible to start.

The other option is a DRZ, but I dont like the street legal model. It is also heavier.

thx

I would look to see if the forks/shocks are leaking oil at all. Also see how clean the air filter is, and ask about when the valves were last checked/adjusted. What do the brakes look like? Did the seller do all the maintenance himself? Did he keep any records? Also what was the percentage of riding the owner did on street/off-road? How many miles are on the bike? Are the tires DOT rated? Is the chain rusty looking or is it clean and oiled.

If your son has never riden on the street I would sign him up for one of those MSF Street Rider classes before he gets his license. It will teach him the basics and be a little boring, but it's a good place to start.

The XR400s aren't hard to start if you know what to do. With a cold engine, it can help if you first set the idle up about 1/2 turn on the knob. Also, only kick it (hard) when you have the piston at TDC. The seller probably already knows this. When you go to see this bike, feel the engine and muffler to see if it is warm already, before the owner starts it for you. Better yet, you start the bike.

The XR400 is a good size bike for a person the size of your son. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Go for it.....XR4 would be a great bike for him. They can be a little hard to start if there not jetted right, but this can ( and should be) fixed with a little time and a few bucks. Do all the Gordon Mods and you'll have a easy starting, fun to ride, go anywhere bike. Another nice thing about an XR is it can be upgraded as the skill level goes up and theres a ton of stuff on the market for them. Cant think of anything to look for other then the usual stuff, oil leaks, smoke, straight no bends. Good luck

Steve :)

XR 400 is a good bike. DRZ 400 street enduro shares same suspension since 02 with dirt version. Change fuel tank with plastic, strip off lights and you almost have the dirt version. Either bike would be good, but DRZ has the E button. Honda , you have to add $1K to make it happen there.

For off road I love the XR400, but if you really are going to ride 20% on road, then I might go with the DRZ. I had the electric start off-road DRZ with a street plate and it was great for Dual sport type rides, but I didn't like it for hard core off road and sold it. The DRZ motor is more like a street bike, so that's why I liked it on the street, and who wants to be kicking a bike if you stall it in traffic. Off-road is another story, I have no use for the E start then and ride much better on my XR.

I'm having a blast with my "first street legal dirt bike". It's a '98 XR400. I have to say, I was riding a friend last week who has a bike with a magic button, and I was jealous. But that's the only thing on my wish list. Mine starts in 3-4 kicks when cold, and 1-2 kick when warm, without fail.

if the plastic tooks brand new but the frame has boot wear and chips... the plastic is probably the only new thing on the bike.

to be frank, XR price will go up

when those CRF owner are tire of changing valves, piston,etc every few months.. :)

they will be back :p:)

Just bought an 04 XR400 and love it

Ha, me 2. Actually picked up 2 CRF100's for the kids, a CRF230 for the Wif, and an XR400 for me.

Trying to adjust the rear spring preload with no special tool. Any suggestions?

:)

The XR400 is a great bike to get into dirt bike riding. Also, it has no radiators to smash when dropped, which novice riders do on occasion.

Starting is pretty easy if you jet the bike properly (See Gordon's Mods) and use the correct starting procedure. 3-6 kicks cold. 1-2 hot.