Sign in to follow this  

Transworld Test

Has anyone read the Transworld test and if so what did it say?

Is it true that their test bike started to lose compression after 25 hours and they asked suzuki about and they said that the top end needed to be replaced every 15 to 20 hours? :)

I am trying to make a decision quickly on getting this bike or not as my dealer is getting one in this week with my name on it.

If they have already started with problems though that is not a good sign.

Thanks for the help. :)

I hope this is a joke also...............if not, reliability is a real issue for the RMZ...losing compression after 25hrs.. :)

That is so much craPolla. I watched a couple of RMZ450's at Budds Creek and they were less noisy compared to others and seemed to be extremely powerful.

I know this because I spoke to a few A riders about their bike and I noticed they were in a lower part of the RPM than others of equal speed. The bike looked very nice. I have a great bike so getting another seems pointless but if I did I would buy a Suzuki. looks different runs sweet. The vet class is basically the CRF450 CLASS.

I have the transworld mag with the RMZ 450 test and it says nothing about a loss of compression. It is a lack luster article, dosent really go into specifics. The article says nothing bad about the bike, accept fuel pet-cock location. They say that it is the best turning mx bike of all time 2 stroke or 4, dosent suprise me thats what RM's are known for. I was dissappointed with their test, however they did not have much time to test before the issue, kudos for being the first to test- thats about it though. I am looking forward to what MX Action has to say about the bike, they are not afraid to say anything bad, they will even dis their bike of the year at some point- A true test, nothing is perfect- if there was a perfect bike, innovation would be dead. :)

I have more than 25 hrs on mine already & I haven't checked with a comp. guage but it actually feels faster now than it did right after it was broken in. I'm calling B.S.

even if that was stated in a magazine.... then it must be true right?? remember one thing magazines are only interested in one thing and that is selling magazines.

Does the rmz have a single ring piston?

The picture in the owner's manual shows it having 1 ring on the piston & then the oil rings right below it.

I have 15 to 20 hours on mine now and its just starting to run its best...I find it really hard to believe it will drop off that fast. It runs relatively cool, has a good size oil capacity (compared to a Honda) and if you change it often and don't run at the rev limiter (I dont know why anyone would) I sure don't see any indication of a problem....let ya know in another 100 hours or so. I have checked the valves and cam chain and all the regular stuff and it all shows no sign of wear at this point...time will tell

I just read that article 15 minutes ago. It says nothing about compression loss. In fact, it really doesn't say anthing bad about the bike. The last sentance pretty much sums up the whole article. "With great suspension, superb handling characteristics and a solid powerplant, it seems Suzuki has succeeded in scoring a home run in its first at-bat in the big-bore thumper catagory."

correction: Actually they did have one gripe, the hot start on the carb.

Does the rmz have a single ring piston?

The full-page RM-Z450 ad on page 7 of the March 2005 Dirt Bike magazine says:

"Forged aluminum-alloy, short-skirt, two-ring piston"

Titanium headpipe, foot pegs, intake valves and exhaust valves? Fatbar and a CRF-looking frame?? Nice bike :) !

no i'm almost positive it has more than 1...

The only thumper to use 1 ring is the CRF250f i think

I thought the test sucked. You could have erased "Suzuki " and filled it in with any other name and had the sam ething. I looked at it twice and I feel like I know less about the bike than I did before. Transworld has good boobie pictures and little else.

The new dirt rider is decent. Jimmy Lewis tore a bunch of bikes apart again and weighed each individual piece. They dont test the Suzuki until next month.

The Suzuki really has me checking my checking account balance. Everything I have looked at on the bike looks impressive.

The one thing stopping me is the 4 speed tranny. I owned a 4 speed YZ 490 years ago. I know the Suzuki is 10,000 times the bike that Yamaha was, but I always hated the 4 speed.

If the bike is geared low enough to putt around on, do you still have decent top speed? I hate to admit it, but a huge part of my riding ends up being more like a recovery mission. I end up racing around the track only to pull one of my nieces, nephews, or friends kids out from under their bike.

Read what I wrote in the ride report above. I putted around in second gear, and then in third, no problems. Do this, ride some ones 450z in the low to mid range, say in a field at steady throttle, then open it to the throttle stop and leave it there for ten seconds, then make up your own mind. I ll tell you this, mine lifted the front wheel about 2 feet off the ground and kept it there until I was scared enough to let off. This is the first bike I have actually been excited over for nearly 5 years. :)

Transworld Magazine test oddity:

The bike pictured with Mr. Tortelli on it has a pair of Pro-Taper bars. On the cover, in the article. How could this be if its supposed to be a stock bike. Did they swap the bar right off the bat? Did someone kink the stock bars during testing, before photos, and all there was were Pro Tapers in the trailer? Was that bike tuned for Mr. Tortelli? Are the Renthals bad bars?

Lucy, somebody has some splaining to do...