Sign in to follow this  

05 crf450 engine noise

I just read something in another post that reminded me to ask about this. When my bike is idling I can get down near the engine and I hear some noise. I can't tell if theres a problem or not. It's a consistent noise. I'm used to 2 strokes that make so much noise that it was different to actually be able to hear something. Can anyone else verify if this is just the sound of the engine? :)

I'm a life long two-stroke guy, and after almost 5 months, it still makes me cringe:)

Here is a fix. Install a skid plate without rubber insulation. It will buzz like hell, and distract you from the engine noise.

A lot of the noise is the slide on the carb clacking its totaly normal for kein carbs.You should here my drag bike its got four of those thinks

It's just normal noise from a thumper. You'll get used to it. :)

YZF don't make as much noise at idle as 450CRF's. Neither do XR's or my old TT for that matter.

I attribute it to the 4mm offset of the bore from the crank centerline. On most engines they are aligned. The offset gives the rod a bit more rotational leverage on the crank on the firing stroke but I think it makes the piston rock a bit more too.

The J&E I installed also seemed to make it a bit quieter. That tends to support the piston rocking theory.