Sign in to follow this  

KLX125 26MM carb question

Just had a BBR 150 Kit installed in my nephews KLX125L. Had the carb replaced with 26mm Kehin (sp?) at the same time. Seems the bike doesn't idle smoothly and there is a big bog in initial throttle response. Any ideas? I don't have a lot of info on this particular carb.

We are slightly above sea level (North Texas)and am running 93 octane pump gas. Should I be using race gas? I hear a ticking sound in the cylinder.

Thanks!

2003 KLX125L - 150 big bore kit, 26mm carb, revalved forks, Works connection shock, BBR exhaust and frame cradle, UFO handguards, PRotaper bars, opened air box and twin air filter.

What's the compression ratio on the psiton, but more likely than not you will need race gas. I would run a 50/50 mix. But you need to jet the carb properly. If there is a good turner where you live, that would help tremendously. We run the fuel mixture screw almost all the way out. But use safety wire on it, because if it falls out, they are expensive to replace. The stock main is probably way lean as well.

He was looking up the compression ratio for me as the shop was extremely busy when I picked up the bike. He did say it was the same as the BBR 150 Kit. Guess I'll have to look it up on the BBR website.

I know the bike had 93 octane in it when I left it so I'm assuming that it what they jetted it for. It was also 40 degrees warmer then than it is now.Could that ticking sound possible premature detonation? I believe the Pilot is a 40 and the main is 110 to 115 (don't remember may have to open it and look)

I've looked into race gas and there are several varieties. When you talk of a 50/50 kix are you talking 50% C12 Race gas and 50% 93 octane pump? or another type of mix?

I'm on a learning curve here so bear with me. My nephew starts racing a series on the 27th of this month. Hope I can get this worked out in time.

Kelley

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated. Turned the fuel screw out 1/2 turn. Went out and ran it, without reving too high, for about 30 minutes. It started to smooth out after riding about 15 minutes. Still stalled when stopping though so I turned the idle screw a hair. That smoothed it out and prevented it from stalling. I think it just takes it much longer to warm up than it did before.

Every once in awhile there is a louder, single click sound that occurs. Can't tell exactly where it comes from but there is a noticeable, and very brief, power interupption when it happens. Anyone know what that could be?

BBR says the CR is 11:1 ! You should be running "race" gas in this engine. VP 103 has the same specific gravity as pump fuel and properly jetted should be fine.

If the clunking noise is accompanied by momentary power loss, its for sure knock. Knock can come from several places:

Heat

Too low anti-knock index fuel

Lean

Rich

You need to find out what the lambda ratio is while running the bike (Air Fuel ratio). There are several hand held lambda meters available that can help you perfectly jet the bike. This may be outside the home wrencher. Take the bike back to the shop that set it up and tell them with as much detail as possible the running condition. They probably guessed at the carb settings. If all else fails contact BBR- they have been very helpful for me in the past and their recommendations have always been spot on.