Sign in to follow this  

Harescrambles, Beginner competition, getting involved.

Finally believe I have gotten to the point where I want to try "some form" of competition. For the last year I have been riding alone becuae I do not know anyone who rides. Recently the brother in law and gramps got quads, and I discovered the fun of just play racing around - and smoking them all the time :)

What exactly are hare scrambles, are there beginner levels for old guys like me (39 yo) :p and what is typically involved (ie find a locaL riding group, do they take an entire weekend of committment, etc).

Would also love to get the 8 yr old into som beginner pee wee events. Kid took to the Yammy PW80 reaaaaaaly fast. However, dont really want to put him in one of those Beginner Level classes that are , in fact, full of mid to expert level riders who race down from thier abilities so they can win more :)

thoughts?

A hare scramble is a cross country type race frequently run on a loop that is anywhere from a couple to several miles long. The number of laps depends on the length of the loop. Riders in different classes start at different times and the races are usually very beginner friendly.

As for your son, start him now in 4 stroke beginner classes. There will always be sandbaggers. But at least in the 7-9 y/o class the other kids aren't usually hard enough into it to take out another rider who gets in their way. Which does happen with the older kids.