Sign in to follow this  

The truth about Honda Vavles

your not serious right?

Maybe I should re-phrase my comment. I was told that the '05 CRF no longer uses titanium valves secondary to the issues with the intake valves failing. Am I wrong???

I think part of the problem could be poor training and communications on Honda's part... Not sure how the training goes at the manufacturing plant that puts the engines together...

But I've had various answers from dealerships, parts folks and mechanics on how to handle titanium coated valves, seals and lapping the seats.... Which I have gathered from from the fine advice here on TT if done wrong can drastically shorten the life of the factory valves. Which in turn creates confusion, repeat problems and bad PR for the manufacture.

The truth IMHO is the valves work as designed if assembled, handled and maintained properly...

Thanks,

If it is a heat issue I think the exhaust valves would have the same problem only alot worst , the fast intake lobe ramp could easily toss valves with week springs away from the lobe at high rpm allowing them to slam into the seats causing this exact type of premature wear , IMO its insufficent spring pressure causing the premature intake valve wear on CRF'S

yes,thats wrong.still uses ti valves.

Spoke with the dealer service dept. about the valves. Reading directly from a Honda bulletin they told me that the intake valves remain titanium, but the exhaust valves were replaced by stainless steel valves secondary to the heat generated by the titanium valves in the exhaust position and breakdown of a rubber ring causing poor seating of the valve and subsequently valve failure.

John

That's all info that was posted on ThumperTalk 3 years ago, do a search. Nothing to see here, keep moving. :)

Since TT updated the site you can no longer search that far back.

Spoke with the dealer service dept. about the valves. Reading directly from a Honda bulletin they told me that the intake valves remain titanium, but the exhaust valves were replaced by stainless steel valves secondary to the heat generated by the titanium valves in the exhaust position and breakdown of a rubber ring causing poor seating of the valve and subsequently valve failure.

John

Whaaaa????? I am not calling you a liar or anything, but can you elaborate a little further? Has anyone else heard this? What "rubber ring" are you referring to? And the exhausts aren't the ones that are failing?! I'm confused here... :)

I am new to the CRF's, but when shopping the dealership told me that the '05 CRF no longer has titanium valves in the exhaust positions. They told me that the titanium valves were overheating on the pre-05 CRF's causing failure. I was told that these were replaced by stainless steel valves. I called this morning to ask again about the valves. They did some research and verified that the exhaust valves are stainless steel. The intake valves are still titanium.

That is what I was told, whether it is true or not I don't know, nor do I really care as long as my bike keeps running.

John

am new to the CRF's, but when shopping the dealership told me that the '05 CRF no longer has titanium valves in the exhaust positions. They told me that the titanium valves were overheating on the pre-05 CRF's causing failure. I was told that these were replaced by stainless steel valves. I called this morning to ask again about the valves. They did some research and verified that the exhaust valves are stainless steel. The intake valves are still titanium.

I think you need a new dealer. One who knows something about CRFs would be a good start. The exhaust valves have been stainless since day one. :)

all crf's have had ti intakes and stainless exhuast valves.02-current.

rubber ring? :) the valve seat is not rubber. :p

You could have saved me some phone calls had you replied with that in your post last night. :) I have been on a YZ450 until just two weeks ago. I am still learning about the CRF. Until I get more experience with the bike, the dealer and this web site have been my only resource.

John

I think you need a new dealer. One who knows something about CRFs would be a good start. The exhaust valves have been stainless since day one. :)

Yea... this is the kind of miscommunication I'm talking about... and finding another dealership that knows the model your interested in out of the zillion they have on the show room floor (wonder if Honda lawn mowers have Ti valves) is harder then it sounds unless you like spending time behind the windshield...

Best bet is educate yourself and TT is one of the better place to do that...

The local mech just returned from one of Honda's tech programs. He said the question came up, and was debated between Honda instructors (?) and the group, and as in the past, they stated that it is a problem with contamination.

Clean your air filter, insure no leaks.

I don't buy the poor grade of Ti statement. If it was a cast item, and they are not doing 100% NDT inspection, I would agree. Billet materials are certified from the foundry as to composition, and unless the engineers have missed a huge engineering mistake the last few years, that isn't the problem.

I don't know about the coating, but with all the crap in pump fuel, overheating and contaminents could have an effect on a coating process if it is operating beyond its expected performance.

I've been running F&L leaded fuel.

My 2 cents.

Clean your air filter, insure no leaks.

I also thought that arguement held up until someone here pointed out some of the CRF's that ice race only are having the valve problem too.