Sign in to follow this  

Athena 290cc bigbore kit

Has anyone tried it? What i was most worried about is if it holds thogether and dont "explode" like some 302 kits seem to do. It comes whit a new cylinder and a Wiseco piston. I live in Sweden do anyone of you know where i can buy this kit in a online store in USA, it`s cheaper to buy it from you than here in Sweden.... :)

I asked about this kit before (sold by Parts Unlimited here in the US) and came up with a lot more questions than answers. If somebody had it and were using it...they didn't speak up. :)

I too have inquired about it a couple of times. My local dealer called parts unlimited and, after about 20 minutes, the parts unlimited guy was able to tell him that they offered a big bore kit and it was seven hundred fifty something dollars, but that he didn't know what size it was and it wouldn't be available until sometime in March. Another place I asked told me they thought there was some sort of delay on importation or something.

I was thinking the kit sounded kinda nice, but now I'm thinking I don't want to be the guinea pig. I'll probably just do a 262 kit. They seem to have been proven to be reliable.

I have the perfect solution to getting the big bore kit. It's Big Gun's head porting. You send your head in with $600-700 and you get back a factory like power making bike. They claim 40+ hp and 15% increase in power at all RPMs. Now does that sound sweet or what? Compression isn't bumped up (it's actually lowered), cams are stock, and the only think they mess with other than the head is the valves. All they do to the valves is put different size seals on. If you want more info, check out the latest (March) issue of DIRT BIKE magazine. By the way, they said the power delivery seemed stock. They even called it "mellow" compared to all the other 40+hp making bikes they have ever riden. I think I'm in love. :)

Porting ONLY getting a 250F to a true 40+ hp? Not in any real world I don't think...

The CRF250 can make ~38hp using mild porting, good fuel, good pipe, and a higher compression piston....the Factory bikes are supposedly making ~40hp and I guarantee you they are cammed, piped, ported, carb modded and valved to do it...

Pick up the March issue of DIRT BIKE magazine and see for yourself. They say it feels it too. You probably won't believe it when you read it either. I do. I've been reading DB for over a year now and whenever I get a chance to ride a bike that they have wrote about, I always feel the same way about it as they did. They are reliable. Call Big Gun and see for yourself. Accept reality even if you don't want to.

Same thing happened when I asked...the masked men Hijacked it....Anybody see that Athena/Parts Unlimited 290 kit around here? :)

Sorry for my english. I´ve installed this kit in my WR and it runs too well. the power goes up in all the RPM, now I have to put my bike in the dinamomemeter, then I put here the results.

Pick up the March issue of DIRT BIKE magazine and see for yourself.

Well if it says it in Dirt Bike it MUST BE TRUE. :)

Well if it says it in Dirt Bike it MUST BE TRUE. :)

Thats exactly what I was thinking!! :):p