99 TE410 hard startiing

A friend has a 1999 TE 410 that gives him fits starting cold, and then again when stalled or dropped, (hot start).

The choke will make it pop when cold and then must be turned back off to get it to fire?

Once it is running it runs good, but the hot start is a bear, having to wait up to 40 minutes to get it re-lit.

I have suggested adj. valves and a fresh plug, any other ideas out there?

Leroy.

?

It makes me suspect idle mixture being way off? However way lean would be hard to start cold, way rich would be hard to start hot, so I remain confused.

How is the idle? How is the throttle responce? The bigger the engine the more criticle the idle is to starting.

If it will start from cold without choke idle mixture is way rich.

If you have been riding for a while, then stop for 20-30 miniutes and need choke to restart (I am not talking about in freezing temps) then idle mix is lean.

Just did this mod on my 92 TE 350,pre 2000 the float bowl floods the motor

when dropped,post 2000 float bowl has a bypass,instead of the overflowing

fuel running into the motor it runs out the the ground via hoses,just like every other bike on the planet. Also the later bowl has 2 floats instead of 1

and holds a level better.Cost $200 OZ and well worth it.Re the hard starting

make sure the choke is fully off, they hang sometimes,when starting cold

turn the choke off as soon as it fires,DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE,

choke on and kick,get it running and warm,find the mix screw and turn it in

until the bike runs bad,turn it out till it runs bad and set it half way between.

All this is for Delordo carb,for jetting try emailing George at Uptite

Thanks for the input guys! We are going out Sunday and will try dialing the mixture a little. The float mod is great info, Thx!

Not being a Husky guy myself, who is George at Uptite? anyone got a phone number for him?

Thanks much! Leroy ?

Leroy, George is Geroge Earl and Uptite is the name of his business (if my memory is correct it started as a chain tensioner business). Anyway he is a Husky dealer in Cal. you should be able to find it thru the dealer locator.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

BTW are you coming to the Husky demo days this Sunday near Marysville, If so I drive a green Toyota Tundra, ride 450TE with a Coastal Moto Adventures decal. email me, davehopkins@windermere.com if you want to go