Sign in to follow this  

1998 Klx 300?

I'm going to look at a 1998 KLX300. Were there any problems with these bikes compared to the newer models?

The 98-05's are basically all the same. There have been some minor changes - most notably the ACR positioning on the camshaft and some changes to the idler shaft. I'd just look for the normal stuff. Like any of the high reving 4s bikes, the valves can tighten down over time. If you feel lack of compression and it's hard to start when cold, this could be the problem. Other than that, just the normal stuff. Make sure it's not thrashed, Oil isn't black, frame isn't bent, bearings in the linkage and wheels and steering stem seem OK, etc. Good luck. The 300 is a great bike.

PS - things you will want to do: shift star regrind, ACR mod care of Brewster, check valves, do all the free mods at www.planetklx.com, and maybe a header and dynojet kit.

Check to see what modifications have been done, ie. Dynojet kit in carb or replace stock carb with a Mikuni or Kehein, suspension mods (springs and/or valving), replace head pipe, etc. These are things that you will want to do after you get the bike if they aren't allready done and should be factored into the cost of the bike.

Dynojet kit $60

Replace carb, $250-400.

Suspension springs, $100. each end of bike

Suspension valving $160. each end of bike

Head pipe $120.

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks guys. I started searching a little in the forums and came up with valve wear on the early models at about 3500 miles, idler gear replacement and shift star replacment.

I haven't gone and looked at it yet but it does have an FMF silencer and the guy said it's in really good shape. $1975 obo which doesn't seem like too bad a price.

I'm just looking for a bike I can putt with the kids and use as a buddy bike.

I just bought a '98 about three weeks ago. Paid $2400. Mine does have a 340cc kit as well as other valuable mods. and is in exceptional shape. As a rule I never pay asking price, but if the bike looks good, I think what your guy is asking is a fair starting point.

Other than on this forum, I've heard some really bad things about this bike. I can only tell you that I am extremely happy with mine,

The magazines seem to think that this bike is heavy, slow, and hard to start (Dirt Bike Dec, 2004 Buyer's guide, among other's).

Compared to a WR, or a CRFX this may be true. However given it's price point within the market, new or used, it is more of a direct comparison with an XR 250, or a TTR-250, or a DRZ-250.

Compared to these bikes IMHO the KLX-300 is vastly superior. With this bike you get four valve heads, inverted forks, liquid cooling, disk brakes front and rear. None of the other bikes in this price range offer ALL of these. And all are of comperable weight. Hard to start? Mine has a 340cc high compression kit and always starts by the third kick when cold, first kick when warm. It should be harder to start than stock.

I believe the "testers" look at what this bike has to offer and then compare it to other bikes with the same level of componetry, ie WR250 or CRFX, and find it lacking in some areas. What they don't take into consideration is the price point. These other bikes are $1500 to $2000 more new, and comparably more used.

I read one reveiw online (I can't remember where) and they compared the KLX-300 to an XR 400. At the beginning of the article the said they felt it wouldn't be fair to do a comparison with the XR-250 because it was giving up 50cc to the KLX. So they decided to compare it to the XR-400 where the KLX is giving up 100cc's?!!!

Basically the article found the KLX supperior in every way to the XR-400 except power. No Shit!

I overlooked this bike at the beginning of my dirtbike search because of the remarks made by DirtBike magazine in it's Dec. '04 buyer's guide (slow, heavy, and hard to start). I am glad that I didn't buy at that point!

IMHO, dollar for dollar this an exceptional enduro. Don't let the four valves, water cooling, and inverted forks fool you into thinking this is a cutting edge motorcycle. But a better motorcycle will cost you $1200 to $3000 more. And if you are looking for a bike that will "putt" along with your kids, this is it. This bike (even with the high compression 340cc kit) will putt all day. But twist the wick, and you will be rewarded with instant power. The suspension isn't as good as a WR-250 or a CRF-250X but is is vastly superior to an XR-250, TTR-250, or a DRZ-250.

For it's price, new or used, you can't go wrong. This is truely an undervalued model. Their loss is our gain!!!!

might not be a bad idea to ask what type of oil they run in it and how often they change it. Trail riding a filter and oil change every 5 rides/ 250-300 miles using a good motorcycle dino or synth oil is reasonable maintenance. Ask if they have ever replaced the cam chain as well. 2-3000 miles and it is starting to wear.