Sign in to follow this  

You Body Armor up for the commute?

What are you all wearing for the commute - you know - strictly on the road - no trail or offroad at all?

I've got a blue collar government job - no 3 piece suit or anything - and I just wear a helmet, gloves, work boots and a jacket with reflective stripes for the 20 mile trip. I think it would be overkill to wear armor, and why should I - the streeters don't. Whadda you think?

Nick

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing, I have been riding street's as long as I have been able (22 years), and all I ever wear is leather boots, a skid lid, and sunglasses (leather's if its cold), street riding can be very safe and fun, just be careful.

Most of the folks that I know that are commuting on their bikes are wearing padded/armored jackets and pants. My two street jackets are armored, same with my riding pants. I won't ride without them. -Ed

When I ride my D/S bike only on the road I will only leave the chest protector at home if I put the armor pads in my enduro coat and wear that. If I'm wearing my CP and my jacket I have to remove the pads in the jacket so it fits over the CP. The only time I wear work boots and a helmet only is if I am only riding to work which is 1 mile away and the speed limit is 25 and 35 the whole way. It's a small town with one stop light. If I venture out into the real work I suit up.

Have a DS jacket with armour and back protector for anytime I will be on the highway for more than a couple of miles. I will also put my knee armour on under my jeans and always wear my boots.

If you are willing to spend the money, I have first hand knowledge that the $80.00 kevlar jeans are WELL worth the money. Back when I was street riding, an acquantance went into a left sweeping highway turn too hot and left the road at an estimated 60 mph. :)

He kevlar jeans really helped save him some road rash. :)

A search for kevlar jeans will probably turn them up.

If you are willing to spend the money, I have first hand knowledge that the $80.00 kevlar jeans are WELL worth the money. Back when I was street riding, an acquantance went into a left sweeping highway turn too hot and left the road at an estimated 60 mph. :p

He kevlar jeans really helped save him some road rash. :)

A search for kevlar jeans will probably turn them up.

They may be slightly better than regular denim for abrasion resistance, but most of them have no padding. Most street crashes at more than walking pace involve some amount of tumbling, and that's when pointy parts (elbows, knees) hit the tarmac. I wouldn't trust non-padded gear on the street.

For street riding, it's ATGATT for me as well. :)

Jim <--- was glad to have ATG on when I dropped a friend's 929 on a canyon road.

I wear my boots all the time.. a Velocity Gear back protector and a fieldsheer jacket in the summer.

I am buying an Icon Field Gear vest this weekend because of the awesome upper torso protection....

I got a overstock HJC leather jacket with hard shoulder & elbow inserts

on ebay for $75, listed for $300 on some sites. It has a pocket for a back

protector so I got a Dainese Backspace 2 on ebay for $45.

Sometimes Ill wear the 661 suit under another jacket, but I like the leather.

Also bought some draggin jeans with the kevlar a$$ and knees on ebay for $60.

They have the extra knee protection pads you can insert as well.

I wear this:

RP-jacket-menu.jpg

I bought my first sportbike in October, and have managed to put 1700 miles on it since. I had cold hands once or twice, and cold toes too, but that's all the farther it got.

The most important thing to remember is that quality riding gear is comfortable and that injury is very uncomfortable. I wear a lid, gloves, boots, long sleeves and pants. If I'm feeling sporty I use my Joe Rocket suit. The best riding gear is sitting in and around your head.

I commute to work daily on the Concours, and I'll second the Aerostich Roadcrafter (2 pc. here). I wore 2 pc. leathers for years, but got tired of having to suit up in leathers AND rain gear on the crappy days - the Roadcrafter combines protection and rain gear into one package, and like averagejoe said, it goes on & off in 30 secs. Oh yeah - add one set of Sidi OnRoad Sympatex boots for dry feet!

The Aerostich stuff is kind of spendy, but if you commute/ride a lot, it's worth the investment.

Throw in a heated jacket liner and gloves, and it really extends your riding season - haven't driven the truck to work yet this winter!! :):p (Luckily, the slippery weather has fallen on my Fridays off, and it's only 12 mi. to work :) )

I wear a Teknic 2 piece set of leathers with CE approved armor in it, a seperate back protector (hard plastic / foam Teknic), and my old roadracing gloves and boots. Dress for the crash, not for the ride. When you're sliding down the asphalt you will be glad you took the time to suit up. :)

What are you all wearing for the commute - you know - strictly on the road - no trail or offroad at all?

I've got a blue collar government job - no 3 piece suit or anything - and I just wear a helmet, gloves, work boots and a jacket with reflective stripes for the 20 mile trip. I think it would be overkill to wear armor, and why should I - the streeters don't. Whadda you think?

Nick

I work out of the house, so I don't really commute. More like stagger down the hall. However, when I'm on the street I do wear a jacket with armor. Either mesh in the summer or 3/4 length textile in the colder weather. Full face helmet all the time. Either stiff hiking boots, or more likely steel toe work boots with soles that aren't slick in oil. Usually leather work gloves on the hands.

Pants will be the next safety gear I get. Currently just wear jeans.

My trusty Aerostich Roadcrafter suit, gloves, full face Shoei, boots... commute 90% of the time... suit goes on and off in less than 30 seconds...

Ditto. Plus I have the back protector and hip pads in my Aerostitch, along with knee pucks, race gloves, and waterproof racing boots. Since I commute year-round on my sportbike, I usually have a Fog City insert inside my Arai Quantum-f face shield.

The Aerostitch is the best way to go, since you can wear your work clothes inside it. It's plenty warm in the winter if you add internal layers, and it's not bad in the summer when you open all the vents and maybe wear a Cool Shirt inside it. One tip for buying the Aerostitch -- get the 2-piece version so that you can do a better job of fitting both the top and bottom. If you get the 1-piece version, you're limited to whatever the combination of top/bottom sizing is.

As to whether it's worth it -- I've had several crashes in my 200,000 miles on the street, and the more armor the better. Even something as simple as wearing armored racing gloves can be important in preventing broken fingers and such. I'm a careful and thoughtful rider, but the street has so many variables (especially with weather thrown in), that you're going to go down sometime, and you'd better be as prepared as possible, IMHO.

I also wear the same Aerostitch and armor accessories at track days. That's another advantage of investing in good gear for daily use. I only have one crash at a racetrack (around a buck in turn 5 at Laguna Seca), and it was a non-event thanks to my Aerostitch. -Mike-

Leather gloves and street style helmet, jacket and pants. The "ballistic nylon" type street pants can usually be found for around $100 and are well worth it. Mine have removable knee and hip pads.

A few years ago I went down at about 10mph while wearing jeans and they shreaded as soon as I contacted asphalt. But my jacket and leather gloves only showed a few scratches(helmet never hit). So, needles to say, my knees feel naked and vulnerable without the street pants now. Highly reccomended!

Shoot, I'd even like to get a leather 1-piece now so I can be a supermoto wannabe, I bet it would at least raise my confidence level. :)

Fortunately my commute is barely 2 miles and if I see 3 or 4 cars during the trip, it must be rush hour! Usually I use my Joe Rocket vented jacket with armor inserts, either Prexport or Daytona boots, Held racing gloves (worth every penny), and a helmet.

However, if I'm going out for a pleasure ride or long trip, it's the full leathers (2-piece, with armor), and the rest of the gear stays the same.

It doesn't pay to take chances on the street...

Cheers,

Mac