Sign in to follow this  

How to turn a top heavy bike.

I bought a new bike about a year ago and I still can't turn the thing like I could my other bikes. It's heavier than my other bikes but more importantly, it more top heavy. Do any of you know any tricks other than replacing everything w/ carbon fiber or buying a new bike? The bike is an 02 WR426, I'm 6'1'' 190. I'm in decent shape but I'm wondering if there might be a technique that helps to get top heavy bikes back and forth through the corners easier.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you,

The only surefire thing that can help you, get a bit more traction to the rear tire, and try not to break it loose too much. The top goes down fast on the bigger bikes.

An aftermarket gas tank from Clark or IMS will hold the fuel much lower than stock. Might want to keep an eye out for one on Ebay. :)

For a little better leverage and quicker input, use peg pressure.. here's a quote:

"Initiate the turn using footpeg pressure, by pushing the inside peg to make the bike lean. We call this "steering with your feet".

There's more to it at this Site: http://www.trialstrainingcenter.com/html/basic_turning.html

This school uses Trials Bikes to do Cross-Training but take a look.

There are some good video clips to go along..

:)

Have you done anything to your suspension? My (new to me) 02 WR426 has a pretty stiff suspension and for me, tall bike + stiff suspension = disaster. I'm 240 lbs and I highly recommend Race Tech suspensions and a very light set up. I sag way more than "spec" but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for the replies everyone. They are all good ideas. I haven't touched my suspension. I check the sag every now and then just to make sure it's close to factory standard. I felt like the suspension this far has done well but I may need to start over and see what I can do. I appreciate the ideas.

Unless you're referring to very low speeds, just countersteer the bike.

When you want to turn left, simply initiate the turn by pulling on the right grip. This will cause the bike's tires to come out from under you, to your right, causing you to "fall" into the corner. This is actually how almost every corner is started on a bike, but consciously pulling on the bars has a much more significant effect.

Try it on a open area first, you'll be surprised how quickly you can turn a bike this way.

I took my rear preload to 90mm and raised the forks in the tubes

also threw on a yz tank & seat

all that seemed to help, giving up straightline stability, but the WR seemed to have really good straightline already

You might not be getting enough "dive" out of your front end. Try softening the compression until the front end feels like it is going to tuck under in the turns then either go back one click stiffer on the compression or add rebound until it corners comfortably. Allowing the front end to "dive" when you corner shortens the wheelbase temporarily and makes the bike turn better.