Sign in to follow this  

crf450x, why would you .....

buy one? I see that the msrp is $7199, that is the price for a ktm 450exc. I am assuming that they will be sold below that, but I would much rather have a ktm than a honda, if they are the same price. just my thoughts..... not wanting to argue, just an obseration. a ktm or husky has much better components. unless you are convinced that honda had better quality.

Just think, we have beat this dead horse over and over again. IMHO;This is one of those Coke vs Pepsi deals...You like what you like. Now if Suzuki and Kawasaki would just get their stuff together, we would have to visit shops all over the place to just look at the options.

The initial reviews were very flattering for the 450X, but give it a full 6 months after they are out to the "normal people" and we will have alot more answers than questions, thanks to TT.

Right now, for me, the 450X at $7200.00 is not gonna be my option because I personnaly think that the proven KTM/Husky designs are a better value. I am frankly very intrigued with the Sherco as it has EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection). In the end I think we will all win in this battle because of the amount of competition for the market...what is good will in fact have to get better to stay competitive.

The gasgas uses the same EFI unit (magnetti-marelli) and has worked out all the bugs this year. They were at the dirt rider 24 hour test along with the sherco. The gasgas has steel valves out of the box and a slipper clutch. They have run it in 24 hour endurance races in europe. I am anxious to see the review.

I like a bike that weighs in at around 250 pounds or less. The sherco 250 motor has me more than a little curious. They make this motor in a 320cc configuration with a long stroke for their trials bikes. They are building a new chassis for this bike. It would be great if they would import this bike into the U.S. in a 325-ish cc configuration and create their own niche in the market.

- jeff

Oregon Rider, You are right, a 325 cc offering might hit the mark. KTM seems to have proven that you can make it work. All the 250RFS 350/351 conversions and their following seem to indicate it.

Most Vet's aren't bound by the CC limits and judging by the 250 4 stk big bore market they are a viable marketing segment. This is my struggle...build a 250F or go 450. For the two of us, the 250F seems to be the route because we have a unique thing here in Oregon (The worst conditions of the east + the more traditional open west coast areas). Neither the 250F/450F has it for both so you look for a good compromise.

mcdrz, i was not trying to beat a dead horse, i just happened to be over at the honda website and the msrp at $7200. and I thought. wow! you can get a husky or ktm for that or less with way better components than the honda. but you are right if you only buy a specific brand and like hondas, you'll probably go with honda.

I just always thought that ktm's were alittle high priced but i guess they are not as high as I thought.

Sorry XR400R, I guess most of us here in the XR forum don't understand Honda's methodolgy behind the decision to drop the XR250/400 and replace it with the Ti valved bikes. The CRF250X has proven to be a very competitive bike that many love, although no one will ever accuse it of having XR reliability. Many of us unfortunately fear the same of Honda's new CRF450X offering. There probably wouldn't be such resistance if the valves for both bikes were quality stainless steel (intake and exhaust) and in fact I think many XR loyal would be right there purchasing them for whatever they would cost if that was the case, me included.

mcdrz, I agree. I am a big xr fan, and that is why I have one, and am thinking about buying more even as honda is dropping the 250/400 and even though everyone thinks the xr's are outdated.

MAR, if I could get a 450x for only 1000 more than a cr250, I would buy one tomorrow. you get lights, electric start, 18 rear. plus one is a two stroke one is a four stroke. if you want a two stroke buy the cr250, I don't, i want a four stroke, always have even before they were all the craze.

You guys got me thinking about the x though. maybe i will give it a second thought, I don't doubt that it will be a great bike. I guess I have just fallen victim to everyone saying that ktm is the offroad bike to have.

but, still, honda 450x, ktm450exc, husky te450, all the same price, I am probably going to pick the ktm, when all said and done the husky will probably be $1000 less so in that case I would have to pic the husky.

just making conversation here, not trying to pi$$ anyone off. have fun. I still love my xr.

buy one? I see that the msrp is $7199, that is the price for a ktm 450exc. I am assuming that they will be sold below that, but I would much rather have a ktm than a honda, if they are the same price. just my thoughts......

In the same vein...why pay $7199 for the KTM when you can get the faster, easier to service, beautiful looking and beautifully finshed Husky TE-450 with equal top drawer parts, for $6799! And it's not (ugh) orange!

No one owes anyone else an explanation for the bikes they like or buy! :)

I really hope husky is able to stick around. I think they can realy compete with ktm and may even be better, and you are right. you can probably pick one up cheaper... :) yeah, and it is not orange. :)

i would buy the ktm over the honda450. i like my xr400 alot for what little time i have on it. i have never owned a ktm but i want one so bad. a 300exc smoker :) it cant hurt to have a 2 and a 4 stroke and have plates on both of them :)

and i could really care less about electric start. the way i see it its just another thing to break. i guess it helps out the smaller guys.

Out on the trail I've ridden with 2-stroke and 4-stroke Orange, Blue, Red including The CRF250X, CRF450R, CRF250R, basically all the new "improved" bikes. I've yet to see them do something where I say, wow, I wish my "outdated" bike could do that. Actually, me and my XR have had to stop and wait for some of those "better" bikes. Some of the more favorable characteristics of the XR bikes are being lost in the new "improved" bikes.

The newer bikes are more powerful at the higher RPM's, in contrast the XR's are more consistent in producing useable power from the bottom up. Will the 450X follow suit with the other "high tech" bikes? We'll see. If it's a high RPM power producer then I probably won't ever buy one. Tight woods don't really give you a lot of opportunity to tap into all that high RPM power, and if you can't get into it, what good is it? I guess the benefit is being able to say "I have a new improved high tech bike".

As far as the smoker, not for me, a narrow power band that is either all or nothing just doesn't work well in the tight stuff, on the fenced in track, sure, but out in the wild wild woods, give me a thumper, preferrablly an "outdated" one.

For my next bike I was thinking about a ktm525exc, but then again I can get the 300exc for less and it is a 2stoke so lower and easier maintance. Then again I got a very tricked out xr400 so it has easer and less maintance then the bikes above. Plus it is sitting in my garage right now ready to ride. :)

I would buy a Honda CRF450X because I like to have the latest toy, and I love my Honda CRF250X and wanted more HP. The ergos are great, the electric start & kick start is great, and the suspension is the best = my opinion. Honda support (parts, dealers, techs) is generally better than Husky or KTM in my area. There are numerous Honda dealerships around that I can call on if I need an OEM part or tech advise in a hurry. Can't say the same for KTM or Husky.

Last year the KTM dealership here caught on fire and the whole store burned to the ground. Glad I didn't own a KTM and need a part to go riding the following weekend. That wouldn't be so good.

In the same vein...why pay $7199 for the KTM when you can get the faster, easier to service, beautiful looking and beautifully finshed Husky TE-450 with equal top drawer parts, for $6799! And it's not (ugh) orange!

No one owes anyone else an explanation for the bikes they like or buy! :)

Well, KTM hasn't hung everyone's a$$ out to dry by not supplying parts like Husky did so that could be one reason. Supposedly they are pretty good right now about service. However, how many dealers do you have near you? I don't have one within 75 miles of me. :)

how many dealers do you have near you? I don't have one within 75 miles of me.

Wasn't too long ago and you could have said the same about KTM dealers in my area. And there's still a lot less of them then Honda dealers! :)

... you get lights, electric start, 18 rear....

Question - what's the issue with the 18" rear wheel? Why is this desirable compared to the alternatives? What ARE the alternatives? :)

(I've read it a number of times in magazines, etc - something to do with reliability I think, but I don't understand.)

imo, the 18" tire has a better offroad/dual-sport tire selection and some say it is better for off road because of the taller sidewall. less of a chance of flats, better ride, traction?

VMAX, This is a point well taken...but I think this is really part of the discussion here. Perception versus real world.

HONDA: Many Honda CRFX owners felt abandonded with the valve issues and for the most part it seems to be fairly accurate. For the 04's no help from Honda to a man and no recognition of a problem or any changes for the 05. Honda said very clearly "Your problem owners, deal with it and we are comfortable with the design and quality of Ti valves." Seems that Honda had quite a problem early with the parts train, in fact one year after introduction they are just now coming out with some parts that were supposed to be OEM within weeks of delivery, i.e. electric fan kits.

versus

HUSQVARNA: Shoddy parts/bike availability late 01' to early 04' (admitted). When the bikes did come out and there were some problems, Husky decided that they would step up. More than one owner with premature valve issues got a free top end rebuild (parts and labor) with upgraded parts. Husky recognized there was a problem...so wholesale head re-work and new higher quality parts for 05'.

I fully admit that upgrading 2,000 units is different than upgrading 200,000 units, but that is not the point when you have problems. Locally I would take my Honda to the Husky dealer rather than take my Honda to the Honda dealer, which makes a big difference in my book and may be different in your area.

EDIT: I guess after re-reading this post it sounds kind of inflamitory, sorry that was not my intent. My point was that it seems "to me" that Honda has gotten to the size where they are somewhat comfortable with their reputation and market share and they have become less responsive to owners and their wants/needs/desires. I personally think this is a dangerous combo for many owners as your dealer (good or bad) is your only help.

It's my opinion that there is no deception on Honda's behalf with their CRF250R/X. There is a sticker in plain view on the bike that clearly says NO WARRANTY. And no dealers are selling extended warranties either. Which means exactly that. What part of NO WARRANTY don't people understand?

When Honda says NO WARRANTY, they don't need to respond to anyone. The bike is a race ready machine right off the show room floor. :)

There must be other race ready bikes that are sold with no warranty - right. :)

The cooling fan for the 250X was/is optional. It wasn't intended to be OEM. It's clearly listed in the service manual as an option.