Sign in to follow this  

Coeshow...can you stand one more question?

I have been working on my CRF230 all winter. I put inverted forks on it, BBR rear spring, BBR linkage (to bring the rear up 1"), FMF pipe, BBR rev box, re-jet (45 pilot, 132 main, "power up" needle and needle jet), set the fuel screw at 1.75 turns out, put a 53t Tag sprocket on the rear, removed the snorkle... uh....I'm probably forgetting some stuff. I have not ridden it since I did all this except for a couple burns around the yard. It was definitely running lean before the re-jet, but I suspect it may be a tad rich now, especially once it gets warmer outside. I suspect, as you've pointed out, that the 132 may be too much.

ANYWAY! After all that, I basically was "done" except for a new front tire, number plate, high-flow air filter and fine-tuning the carb. Now comes the dilemna.....I went out and bought a left over 2004 YZ250F yesterday (YEE HA!). Couldn't pass up the deal. So, I may or may not sell the 230, but I am almost certain that I'm going to revert everything to stock form (except maybe the rear sprocket) since I kept all the parts. My wife may or may not ride it. Either I'll keep it for her or I'll sell it in stock form and sell off the other stuff piece meal.

My question is this: what would happen if I put the stock main and pilot jets back in (since I'll put the stock pipe back on and replace the snorkel), put the fuel screw back to 1.5 turns out, but left the "power up" needle? Maybe move it to the third clip (from the fourth, where it is now)? I suspect it may run too rich since that's the circuit that is likely to be utilized most, but I trashed the stock needle using it to remove the needle jet. Should I just bite it and put a new stock needle and jet back in?

Thanks, man. You definitely seem to have some good info and I appreciate your help and patience. That's what you get for being the expert...or at least one of them!

you shouldnt have to worry about the stock needle. the "power up" needle was designed for the stock pipe mod and the snorkel removal. if you put it all back to stock, just leave the diffuser out of the exhaust, and leave the snorkel out and re-jet for those specs. you should be fine.

if you do decide to sell it and strip it of all the "hop up's" definitely pm me !!!! :):)

thanks -----denny

Willierides,

I think siredward20 has the right idea. Just return it to stock but leave in the "power-up" mods. If you advertise it as having the "power-up" mods done, you may even attract more potential buyers. You can always give the two baffles to the next owner.

To answer your question, even if you returned everything back to stock EXCEPT the needle, it wouldn't change much. The difference between the two needles is not that significant. I would venture to say that if others did test just the needle's back to back as I have done, most would not be able to tell much if any difference! The biggest performance enhancement (in my opinion) comes from removing the airbox "snorkel" and installing a larger main jet. In fact, if the bike (230) is ridden in elevations of 4000 ft and above, I have found that the stock needle works better! (again my opinion)

Good luck and enjoy your new mount!

Mike

Thanks. But just so I understand, the "power up mods" include the jets and needle in the carb, removing the baffle (or something in the end of the stock pipe) and the snorkle? That's it? That would make my life better. The wife can practice on it in that form for a bit to decide if she wants to ride or not.

Okay, thanks to all for the help.

Of course, I plan on actually taking at least one "real" ride on the CRF as is before I start un-doing all those mods. I'll be sure to post a report on how everything works. Plus I'll be able to give a better opinion on the stuff when I sell it....

So thanks again for all the good info. This is a great site.

BC