Sign in to follow this  

Ensuring rear wheel is straight

I saw somewhere a guy developed a cool jig for setting sag with one guy. Reviewers said that they used it to set the rear wheel straight and their snail adjusters were not accurate. They were surprised at how far out their adjusters were!

I always set my snail adjusters and assume straight. Is there a good way to actually measure the accuracy of my snail adjusters? Is eyeballing the wheel at it turns reliable for straightness. I see one guy had uneven wear on his cam sprocket that could be due to malalignment. Any concerns generally about the snail adjusters?

Try eyeballing the top of the chain from the rear of the bike. If the rear wheel is not lined up correctly, you may see some curvature in the path of the chain. Turning the rear wheel won't help you see if the axle is misaligned, only if the wheel is not true (which can be fixed by adjusting the spokes). I've been assuming the snail cams are correct, but after your note I'm going to check mine too!

Do snail adjusters not work because they wear out with time or do then not work even when they are brand new. The front sproket has a lot of free play in it so it would give the extra play to balance out the miss aligned rear wheel. Correct? :)

trpw,

If you're concerned about it, measure as accurately as you can from the center of the rear axle to the center of the swing arm pivot bolt on both sides. Also, with the bike on a stand, crouch behind it and turn the rear wheel slowly backwards...towards you. While doing this, watch the rear sprocket teeth as they come up through the chain pins. They should be as nearly centered between the chain's sideplates as possible as they rise up through the holes. Make sense?