Sign in to follow this  

Silencer Packing Question!

:) I have heard conflicting opinions concerning the packing precedures for silencers on an '01 YZ426F. Here is what I have heard......wrapping the packing tightly will result in a louder production of sound......and vise versa to that wrapping it loosely will result in a louder production of sound.?!?!?!

Help needed in Texas!

Thanks in advance!

JB

Welcome Aboard :)

Wrap it snugly, but not too tight. It must still breathe to work. packing it to tight could reduce performance.

Things you may need.

high-temp silicone sealer, masking tape, wrenches, a stiff wire brush and a plastic mallet.

Yes, wrapping it too tightly will result in a louder finished product.

A FMF rep told me a little secret for passing soundtests if you need it... :)

Yes, wrapping it too tightly will result in a louder finished product.

A FMF rep told me a little secret for passing soundtests if you need it... :)

We all need the secret :)

Cmon Cmon pretty please teel us you secret :) .

Or we will do evil things while thinking of you :) .

Just packed my "Q" OLDBONES, did I do it right...come on whats the friggin secret???? :):)

I'm sorry guys, I just spent five minutes typing a really good answer to your question, but after thinking it through, I just couldn't submit it. It was a way someone told me to cut the db temporarily to pass the check, but after much thought, I don't think it's safe, and couldn't recommend it to anyone. The reason I say that, is because I think it would actually pose a fire hazard by possibly passing burning material out of your pipe.

I personally wouldn't use this method anywhere that I ride, because it's all woods or open land where fire hazards are real. If I was riding a closed course, it might be a different story. :)

I'm sorry guys, I just spent five minutes typing a really good answer to your question, but after thinking it through, I just couldn't submit it. It was a way someone told me to cut the db temporarily to pass the check, but after much thought, I don't think it's safe, and couldn't recommend it to anyone. The reason I say that, is because I think it would actually pose a fire hazard by possibly passing burning material out of your pipe.

I personally wouldn't use this method anywhere that I ride, because it's all woods or open land where fire hazards are real. If I was riding a closed course, it might be a different story. :)

a simple "i'm not going to post" would have been find you woman.