Sign in to follow this  

Info on getting valves checked in the area (N.IL)

Need to have my valves checked on my 426. Does anybody know of a good place to bring it in that isn't hugely expensive like a dealer?

I never did it myself, don't have a place to do it, don't have the tools, etc. I'd rather just pay an honest person to take care of it for me. I'm not lazy just a little slow when it comes to the inner workings of my motor and dont' want to screw anything up :)

Thanks

Valves? Look at the side of your bike and make sure it says Yamaha. If it says Honda, then you would have to worry about it.... :D Otherwise just go ride it...

The midwest hasn't had a good flame war since the days of Jschantz - :):):p

If you were any where near me I would have you take it to Tom at "The Great Escape Kawasaki/Suzuki". But he's in Crystal Lake and your pretty well south of there.

Yeah it's a dealer but he cuts me and anyone I send to him a lot of slack and is great mechanic. :)

Valves? Look at the side of your bike and make sure it says Yamaha. If it says Honda, then you would have to worry about it.... :p Otherwise just go ride it...

The midwest hasn't had a good flame war since the days of Jschantz - :):D:D

Yeah, good point, who adjusts valves on a Yamaha anyways? :)

Krass- I did see that post, definetly wouldn't take it there. Hope your ready to head out to BR opening day, April 1st. Unless Matt228 can pull strings and get us in earlier :)

Baja- Do you really think it's not worth going through all this?

JohnnyOFast- Crystal Lake is not far from me at all, it's due west down rt 176 have two friends I ride with out that way. I could pay them a visit and drop my bike off. How much do you think were talking here? You sure this guys name isn't Gomer?

What the hell do I do here? get them checked or ride on :) I guess $ will answer my question for me, may as well throw that into a new motor. I do plan to get a new bike and keep the 426 as a spare, or for a buddy to ride if they can handle it :p

Bike runs like a champ but when I listen to the engine it's not exactly smooth sounding but then again they all sound like that.

No it was my lame attempt at humor, you should definitely make checking your valves a priority on any 4 stroke. I really don't know anywhere in your area, so I thought I would start a good ol fashioned yamaha/honda war. The good thing is, I couldn't care less about what kind of bike anyone rides, as long as they ride. :)

We can check them on our ride in Arkansas. Takes about an hour. You cook the steaks I can check the valves. Are you going to the WudI7 event?

LBZ, Just got off the phone with Tom. He says the Yam shims are different than Kaw/Suz and he doesn't have them. So unless you could provide the shims he would be of no help. :)

If you did have shims it would be $50 to check and $90 if they actually needed adjustments. :D

Tom is a top notch wrench and should be a factory mechanic for some pro. What he's doing wasting his life in that small time shop is beyond me, but at least I get to take advantage of his expertise! :p

Tom did the motor work on my KX250 and that thing is a rocket. I've pulled the holeshot, even with several 426's with good riders on the line at Lake Geneva with that thing. :)

Tom Zont - Great Escape Kawasaki/Suzuki (815) 459-8111,

Tell him Johnny sent you (and he'll really rake you over the coals :D )

LBZ, Gary Berillei in Mendota IL., Meridan Street Trailer sales (815-539-6493), has a Bike shop and Ski Doo shop in the back, does great bike and supension work.

KevXR416- Your such an ass but you crack me up :D

Now is that how your bike turned into a 416cc?

LBZ just bring it over with the specs. no problem I can do it for you :)

with the 416 ??..........Naw........ I just used a ball peen hammer :)

BTW don't forget the diet shasta's :p:D

Just had to say thanks to all the input, not sure which one I'll go with just yet but thanks anyway :)

Kevin wants to pound beers and tear my engine apart :p:)

Beer + Tools X 5 Valves = Kick, chugga, chugga, pop, dead_______ flatline_____ :D Just bustin' you bullz, I'll call ya later and we'll chat

Kevin wants to pound beers and tear my engine apart

and yer problem is............. :)

Beer + Tools X 5 Valves = Kick, chugga, chugga, pop, dead_______ flatline_____

Are you talking about the bike or me :):p:D

Do not pay any dealer to check your valves, it's easy to do yourself.

And if they are out of spec, it's easy to re-shim them also.

My WR is similar to your YZ, let me know if you need help, I got the tools, just bring the bike. :)