450 shootout

Correct, great first year effort and a undeniably competitive bike. But lets not get too excited. The RMZ 450 practically tied the three year old KTM 450 SX and the 3 year old blue boat anchor. The CRF 450 was every testers favorite. The CRF won the shootout hands down. I guess the CRF is a couple hundred more, but, by the time you spend the money for a pipe and suspension work on the RMZ, the calculator shows that the CRF 450 is a bargain. ?

Keep in mind Honda doesn't rest on its laurels, the 2006 CRF will be even better than the 05. ......is that even possible????

Yes the RMZ tied the 3 year old SX and YZ, that's 3years devopment yamaha and KTM has been working to make thier bikes better, I'd say Suzuki did pretty good their first year, I've ridden the 05 Honda and I knew it was going to be a hard bike to beat this year, it's pretty awesome, all my friends have them. I switched to yellow this year to try something different, haven't even ridden my bike yet, but I'm interested to see what if feels like on the track, compared to the Honda.

Its funny how Honda guys always have to defend their bike. It's like they'd take a bullet for it or something. I'd be just as fast on any of those bikes, none of them is that much better than the others, they're all good.

Most riders couldn't tell much of a difference.

bikewriter you keep bashing that poor old yzf to death. i think i might have to ride one just to see how bad it is. did one of those yzf's pick on you at one time?? ? after i ride one i will post on how it compares to the rmz.

Tell ya what guys...there are still things that are BETTER about the RMZ than the CRF, regaurdless of what placings the "shootouts" show. As bikewriter said, the tighter the track, the better for the RMZ. Also, motor ratings are VERY subjective. Sign me up for the yellow bike!! ?

I'm not one to defend Yamahoppy, but they HAVE been dead serious for the last few years. You can bet their 450 will be much improved next year. I'd count on it. It'll get the aluminum frame, right?

I'm glad they're all good machines. It's like going into a strip club and having all of the women worthy of you dollar. It's just a good thing...

Congrats to Suzuki for coming out with a 450 with a 4 speed gearbox. For m/x how many gears do we really need. Heck, a three speed would work. Maybe the other bikes (besides blue) will get the picture and make m/x bikes for mx and not general play riding as well. First gear is for enduros and 5th/6th for cross country. ?

i ride track, desert, and trails.

IMO, I think the vesatility of the 5 speed would still be superior. I don't want to have to buy 2x bikes!(I have ridden numerous "off road" bikes and i HATE their suspension and lazy feel)

With the 5 speed I typically use 2x gears on a track (2nd and 3rd). Maaaaybe 4th if it has a long straight. Would a 4 speed change that.... probably not! Will I miss the 5th gear in the desert... probably! Will the 4 speed bike have an awfully tall first gear for woods.... probably!

BUUUUT, i haven't ridden a 4 speed yet. So I will admit I am speculating. But for me and the environment I ride in, I think I would rather have the extra gear.

You need to remember Guys, they rate these bike as stock, which bikes are Competitive right off the showroom. The Red and Yellow, Orange bike are just that, major props to them. Ping states thats with some $$$ the YZ will be thrown right into the mix. Work the Susp and ero's it would be ready to complete. The ero's are changed by lower the sub-frame, its a trick that the Mechanic been doing for years.............

PS the YZ motor has the best durability, but if we want durability we could buy a XR600 lol and ride it for twenty years between oil changes.........

With that said, my next purchase will probally be RED..............

an, I feel bad for all the slouches on their new 05 (Red, Yellow and Orange) rides that I'm KICKING their ARSE on the MX track............maybe they need to redo their susp and Ero's......................... ?

It's all RIDER ?

Also, I remember when I purchased my 250F, at the time that was the BEST bike I've ever Rode, so I really can compare to how the Red and Yellow riders feel about their Machines.

I can appriciate a shoot out. There has to be a # 1 Bike. But the fact is it is 90% rider and 10 % bike.There all great bikes. But Suzuki pays great contingency so thats what Im racing this year. Yamaha pays a little and thats what I raced last year. KTM and Honda dont pay anything, so I never even concidered them. I can haul ass on any bike. (as long as its big bore 4 stroke)

IF YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE BIKES, SOMEONE WOULD BE BYING ONE OF THEM FOR YOU. All these reviews are biast to some degree. Just look at dirt rider, I have seen them ride and they are nowhere near fast. Dont bye off reviews, bye off whose going to give you the best deal.