Sign in to follow this  

DRZ4 vs. XR4

Looking this weekend at a used bike for my 18 yr old. A novice rider, but big kid with lots of quad experience. We/he wants a st. legal enduro/dirt bike. We are thinking a XR400 or DRZ400e. I havent ridden either (have owned an XR600...bear to start, DRZ650.....boat anchor, YZ250F....loved it, KTM 450EXC st legal.....mine, and more).

Are the XR and DRZ somewhat comparable? The kid will be riding 90% trails, 10% dirt.

The xr is a great reliable bike but old technology and doesn't hold a candle to the drz. The drz has lots more power and is water cooled and most important to me it has that little majic button and i don't believe the XR has one. I just love to push the button and the bike starts right up. :)

I don't think you can expect to find anybody here who will recommend the XR. It is old school. If I thought it was a better bike...I would own it.

I can only echo what colorado has already said. The DRZ must get the nod.

This IS the DRZ section, you know (you may have posed the same question in the XR forum)... The XR will probably require a tiny bit less maintanence. MXJunky hasn't ridden the XR400 (but did have an XR250), but the Junky views the DRZ400E as, most likely the funnest dirt bike he's ever ridden (MXJunkys DRZ-E has the Baja Designs dual sport kit as well). MXJunkys prior dirt steed was an '02 CRF450.

This IS the DRZ section, you know (you may have posed the same question in the XR forum)... The XR will probably require a tiny bit less maintanence. MXJunky hasn't ridden the XR400 (but did have an XR250), but the Junky views the DRZ400E as, most likely the funnest dirt bike he's ever ridden (MXJunkys DRZ-E has the Baja Designs dual sport kit as well). MXJunkys prior dirt steed was an '02 CRF450.

Why do you refer to yourself in the 3rd person?????? :)

We/he wants a st. legal enduro/dirt bike

Better look into how hard it is to dualsport and license a bike in Mass as neither of those bikes come street legal. If you were in Cali you'd need to go with a DRZ400S and mod it to make it perform like a E model. In Mass :)

Well I don't want to poke fun and I'm not, but the XR's are great bikes. I loved the power of my 600 but had to ditch the weight issue! As for the starting Issue ,as with any sizable 4 stroke you either got it or your close! There is a way to start the xr 600 and I could get it to fire, first kick every time! When other guys would kick and kick all day long.( Theres a sweet spot on that bike for sure) My buddy has a couple XR400's and they are great bikes too but My DRZ is (IMHO) just so much better! I'm not usually partial to any brand but I'm getting that way with this Suzuki for sure! Suzuki is setting the standard in the dirt bike world once again! Come on over and "Ride the winds of change" :)

I've had a couple of XR-600's and my 01 E is stronger than either of them. There isn't even any comparionson with my 440 03 SM kicker. It makes the Honda look like what it is a badly dated machine. They are reliable and easy to check the valves on. That's there good points. Everything else is in the Suzukis win coulmn. prairiedawg :):p:)

talking mouse that tells him what to do and say ..... the brains :)

Not only the brains of this outfit, but the little mouse is the brawn too!

Master-Blaster runs Bartertown!

Quote:

Originally Posted by burned

hes got a mouse in his pocket.

talking mouse that tells him what to do and say ..... the brains :D

:):):p

i got a DRZ before

and now i got the XR

power = DRZ is better

handling, both about the same (to me)

weight = XR slightly better

talking about lazy man maintenance, i pick the XR

although DRZ is still very low maintenance machine.

:)

i got a DRZ before

and now i got the XR

power = DRZ is better

Traitor!

i got a DRZ before

and now i got the XR

power = DRZ is better

I was actually thinking about doing the same, as this forum is full of cries for help on problems yet not as mny in the xr forum.

Plus i have a friend who has an xr and it seems far more suited to offroad use than the DRZ-S

Last I heard (about 4 months ago) Jimmy Lewis' personal ride was a modded XR400. I still went DRZ, but if Lewis rides an XR, something must be very right about the bike. OTOH, we don't know what mods he has done.

I spoke to him before he took over at DR. He was selling off some bikes in his garage and I was then in the market.

I rode a very nice XR400 until about 3-weeks ago. What happened? I sold my XR on a Saturday morning and bought a 2001 DRZ400E that afternoon.

What I can tell you is that there is no comparison between the two. The DRZ is one of the best overall bikes I have ever ridden at every level. I would consider myself an experienced rider (I am almost 40) and I ride pretty hard. Within two hours of riding the DRZ it was clear that I was faster and better on the new bike. Favorite thing? Electric start!

Ok, so why would I want an XR?. It can be neglected, crashed, left for dead, and will still take you anywhere.

It is also something that is very easy to ride at a slower pace and is very forgiving. I could rideraround all day in second gear and still climb pretty steep hills. If I was new to the sport I might want an XR and would still recommend one to a friend.

Would I go back? No way!