Sign in to follow this  

400s front sprocket

Does changing the front sprocket on the dual sport drz400 increase noise level because of the lack of the rubber bushing on after market sprockets? Is it bad for the bike at all?

I changed to a 14 tooth aftermarket unit (sorry, don't recall brand) last year. Can't say I noticed an increase in noise.

So that is the noise that I have been hearing since putting on new sprockets. And to think that I messed something up. The noise isn't noticeable unless you are at a low speed, nothing major but enough to make yourself question, &%$#@! did I do wrong? :)

I have ordered a 14 tooth renthal from rocky mountain mc but have not received it yet. My bike is still pretty new and I was concerned about what kind of noise difference I can expect without the rubber bushing. Any tips? Is the blue thread lock a tip to reduse noise or only to keep the bolt from loosening. I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback left so far, greatly appreciated.

I have ordered a 14 tooth renthal from rocky mountain mc but have not received it yet. My bike is still pretty new and I was concerned about what kind of noise difference I can expect without the rubber bushing. Any tips? Is the blue thread lock a tip to reduse noise or only to keep the bolt from loosening. I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback left so far, greatly appreciated.

The locktite is to keep it all together and I would use red.

Red locktite it what you want for this purpose, even though it is not supposed to work in this way it does.......why we are not sure but there has been enough of us using it to show it does.

Red locktite it what you want for this purpose, even though it is not supposed to work in this way it does.......why we are not sure but there has been enough of us using it to show it does.

Yeah, you guys are probably right as to the red thread-lock but having had a bad experience with same...it worked too damned good...you might need to put a little heat on it if you ever want to remove it. Just my experience... :)

Does changing the front sprocket on the dual sport drz400 increase noise level because of the lack of the rubber bushing on after market sprockets? Is it bad for the bike at all?

I noticed more noise when I started riding without the sprocket cover than when I swapped the sprocket. Don't worry about it.

In reference to using lock tight on the front sprocket. I was told that if you used lock tight the only way to remove the sprocket in the future would be to use a "jaws puller". But I was also told lock tight is a must as the sprocket is known to come loose and could damage oil seal located behind sprocket. Any one familiar with this tool or have other ways of removing sprocket. Would it be better to not even mess with the front and just add to the rear?

(Would it be better to not even mess with the front and just add to the rear?)

Even a brand new bike off the floor will loosen. If you don't catch it early enough , a bushing in the tranny will wear, when you retighten this nut it shifts the CS shaft over creating drag on the 2nd gear, and once it welds itself , tranny lock is the result. IMO , of those who had it happen and their internal review.

The red is going to require the puller, the blue probably not. I used the purple which is lighter than the blue for the two sprocket changes I've done over a 15,000 mile period everything was still tight. This last change I did recently did use the BLUE.

I agree the red is the ultimate in holding power though, I prefer the lighter stuff with ease of removal.

Is loc-tite on the nut alone not good enough. Has anyone just done that and still have the sprocket come loose.

Is loc-tite on the nut alone not good enough. Has anyone just done that and still have the sprocket come loose.

the nut does not loosen,the sprocket I believe rocks on countershaft causing slight wear on a few parts giving the appearence that the nut has loosened.locktight on splines is most important,locktight on nut also a good idea.I use red and it isnt that bad to get sprocket off..

i dont get all the red loctite fear.its not a 6mm bolt. :)

I wa scared but trusted you and everything was fine yea it was a little work to get off but not bad at all with impact.