MCCT Install Question

Okay, more of just verification/reassurance. MXJunky just installed the BiTech MCCT on his '02 DRZ400E. During the installation (MXJunky used Burneds method), it specifies to turn the bolt in until you feel contact with the chain (okay, pretty basic). Then ignite the engine, and back the bolt off until you hear and feel a rattle. Well, MXJunky felt a definate jiggle on the bolt, and turned it in maybe a 16th of a revolution, until the jiggle was definately gone, but never heard the rattle. MXJunky is pretty sure that the installation is good, but how does one determine if it's NG?

Rev it real high and if you hear a loud bang, the engine stops, and oil spews out of your radiator, then you installed it wrong. ?

But really, the sound you use to adjust it is very faint, and unless you go though the longer adjustment procedure, there is really no way of knowing if it is exactly right. What I consider chain rattling might be different than your interpretation ? .

I don't remember feeling a rattle in the bolt while adjusting, I more was listening to the sound, you can barely hear it. I do think it took more than 1/16 of a turn to get to that point though.

Fullbore did the same thing as Mxjunky but Fullbore could hear a tiny amount of slap when backing the the adjuster bolt out . Fullbore then ran the bolt in until the noise was gone then he tightend down the lock nut! Fullbore then proceeded to run the holy hell out it and has not had any problems ! Fullbore hopes that Mxjunky don't make his too tight or Mxjunky could be rebuilding an engine soon! ?:D??

Did you test it out under load yet? If not, ride it a bit and you should be able to tell. On my LTZ400, I could also hear a definite ticking sound as well. I used both methods for tensioning.

Initially I used Machinist's, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't too tight. It turned out I didn't have it tight enough. I started the motor, loosened and backed out the adjusting bolt until I heard a clacking-type noise (and some ticking), and then I screwed it back in until it went away. This is still with the motor running. Then I rode it about 50 feet and I could still hear a slight ticking noise so I screwed in the adjusting bolt 1/8 - 1/4 turn more and it went away.

Both methods work. Don't be afraid to readjust it. Just don't get carried away and overtighten the cam chain with the MCCT. By backing out it out and listening to the different noises the motor makes you can tell when it's tensioned properly as you screw it back in.

DFXXX,

Did you have stock exhaust when you installed the MCCT? MXJunky has the full White Bros. action goin' on. But the jiggle was there, and now is not... Doesn't seem like a very scientific procedure, so the adjustment probaably isn't that precise... Famous last words!

Edit: It still has some room for tightening, so MXJunky doesn't think it's too tight...

I did the "turn till vibes in bolt go away" doing it two finger tight. All seemed well until I rode around for five minutes, stopped and B.S.ed for a few. Was kicking it over a few times and heard a moaning sound from the kicker. Thought it just needed oil on the seal so left it alone. went away when started Five miles later I got curious and rolled slowly down a hill in gear with decomp. pulled and heard the sound and so it was the cam chain being too tight. ? Backed it out a full turn before noise stopped and went out half more to be sure.

Anybody else have that happen?

Conclusion: Even finger tight is too tight!!! Be careful!!! I don't think there is a perfect way to adjust the chain.

Gary

Okay, more of just verification/reassurance. MXJunky just installed the BiTech MCCT on his '02 DRZ400E. During the installation (MXJunky used Burneds method), it specifies to turn the bolt in until you feel contact with the chain (okay, pretty basic). Then ignite the engine, and back the bolt off until you hear and feel a rattle. Well, MXJunky felt a definate jiggle on the bolt, and turned it in maybe a 16th of a revolution, until the jiggle was definately gone, but never heard the rattle. MXJunky is pretty sure that the installation is good, but how does one determine if it's NG?

Actually the MCCT doesn't contact the cam chain itself...it contacts the delrin (?) adjuster and I tried it both ways...Burned's and Machinists. If you remove the cam chain guide prior to removing the ACCT you'll see and feel the chain is pretty tight...maybe too tight as in Burned's "cam chain stretcher" description. You should be able to deflect the chain just a little with firm finger pressure. And, like one of the other posters said...don't be afraid to adjust it. Good luck... ?

I'm nervous as heck that mine's not adjusted properly. I installed it a few weeks ago readjusted it probably 6 times since then, I'm so paranoid. I'm the type of person that drives back down the block to verify the garage door is closed.....

I backed mine out until I could definitely hear the slap of the chain. I couldn't really feel the vibration thru the bolt, even though I was using my fingers to adjust. I started tightening until the slap went away, and noticed that if I continued tightening just a little more (1/8th to 1/4 turn) the engine quieted down some more. I stopped tightening at that point. Like I stated previously, I did this about 6 times and still don't know if it's too tight. Comments?

I noticed that the engine is quieter with the MCCT then the ACCT. Anyone else notice this? Does this indicate anything? ?

I'm nervous as heck that mine's not adjusted properly. I installed it a few weeks ago readjusted it probably 6 times since then, I'm so paranoid. I'm the type of person that drives back down the block to verify the garage door is closed.....

I backed mine out until I could definitely hear the slap of the chain. I couldn't really feel the vibration thru the bolt, even though I was using my fingers to adjust. I started tightening until the slap went away, and noticed that if I continued tightening just a little more (1/8th to 1/4 turn) the engine quieted down some more. I stopped tightening at that point. Like I stated previously, I did this about 6 times and still don't know if it's too tight. Comments?

I noticed that the engine is quieter with the MCCT then the ACCT. Anyone else notice this? Does this indicate anything? ?

Yeah, mine's alot quieter. I like it! ?

yes there is,you just didnt follow it.

I tried but as I was backing it out, all I could think about was going too far and doing the exact same damage I was trying to prevent by buying this thing.

I went out at least 2 full turns from contact and didn't hear anything. It was 12AM and I didn't know what I was listening for ? so I turned it back in to just past contact and called it a night.

With all these questions though, I'm not the only one having problems finding the right tightness. ? Don't foget that many of us are not as confident as you in the world of motor work. ?

DFXXX,

Did you have stock exhaust when you installed the MCCT? MXJunky has the full White Bros. action goin' on. But the jiggle was there, and now is not... Doesn't seem like a very scientific procedure, so the adjustment probaably isn't that precise... Famous last words!

Edit: It still has some room for tightening, so MXJunky doesn't think it's too tight...

I do not remember for sure, but I probably had the stock exhaust on. I have adjusted it since with the full race yosh on, but I have to get REAL close ? .

I tried but as I was backing it out, all I could think about was going too far and doing the exact same damage I was trying to prevent by buying this thing.

I went out at least 2 full turns from contact and didn't hear anything. It was 12AM and I didn't know what I was listening for ? so I turned it back in to just past contact and called it a night.

With all these questions though, I'm not the only one having problems finding the right tightness. ? Don't foget that many of us are not as confident as you in the world of motor work. ?

the method has been listed.

its very simple.follow it and you will be fine.

the only "problem" is people not following the procedure.

it sounds like rocks in a pop can.

your is probably still to tight.

if you cant bring your self to to do it the correct way,put the stock tensioner back in.pm me and will buy your manual unit and sell it to customer.i install them on a regualr basis.

For all you paranoid types out there, just take the valve cover off and then you can visually and manually check it's tension.

It is not rocket science guys, it is a simple procedure that is very difficult to screw up by it being too loose. It would make too much of a racket.

Mine started rattling after about a year...wasn't really sure what it was at first. Just a slight clicking sound when revved. I loosened it up and then hand tightened it while the bike was idling and it went away. Perhaps I hadn't set it tight enough to begin with but i sure was glad that the clicking sound was gone. Had me worried it was something major! ?