Sign in to follow this  

Location of fuel line for Clarke tank

I have the 3.2 Clarke tank installed and it has been on since I bought my bike from the dealer. I noticed (offroad) that going around corners when the tank is about 1/4 full the bike stalls. I then went to go ride the bike the next day to work with the same fuel level thinking it would be no big deal. I mean a 1/4 full is plenty for a 25 mile roundtrip. I got about a mile and the bike stalled (flat ground). After about five minutes the bike started and I headed back for home. Stalled three more times in the mile back to home, getting harder to start everytime. I did put it on reserve and it still wouldn't start. I then wasn't able to start the bike at all once I got it home. Then the battery started to die so I stopped trying.

I thought it was my floats sticking or something in the fuel line or petcock. I put the bike in the truck on the weekend and filled it full of gas to take to a friends house to take apart the carb. I took it out of the truck and tried to start it again. It started right up.

I am convinced it was lack of fuel. However, I have a gripe and a question...

Question(s): Could they lack of fuel be because my fuel line is routed over the intake thus when the fuel sloshes from side to side it is basically going uphill (through the lines)? Or is the fuel line correctly routed over the intake? Would it be better to reroute under the intake regardless?

Gripe: If it was indeed the lack of fuel then in reality I am getting darn near the same amount of fuel as the stock tank got. That doesn't seem right.

Anyone have anything similar happen or know what I'm missing? I guess there still could be something miniscule in the line or petcock or carburator.

Thanks!!

Well, I'm not sure about the Clarke 3.2 but on my Clarke 3.9 the fuel line sure doesn't go over the top of the intake...I mean the petcock from the tank and the gas in to the carb are pretty close together, at least on the Mikuni / "S". Did they get rid of the spacer on the original tank that needs to go when you change to a Clarke? Is yours an "E" model? They musta used some extra fuel line to do that. I used my original fuel line. It's a little tight but works OK. I guess I've never run my tank quite that low to answer your other question but if it's a 1/4 full ya should be able to go like hell. I'd try some fuel line re-routing and see what happens. Good luck... :)

Sounds like the fuel line or vacuum line is kinked.

I thought of that spacer too as when i installed my tank i had left it on, if not removed the vac line is a tight stretch and will starve the bike of fuel at high/constant revs.

When i removed it i had no more problems.

Sounds like the fuel line or vacuum line is kinked.

I thought of that spacer too as when i installed my tank i had left it on, if not removed the vac line is a tight stretch and will starve the bike of fuel at high/constant revs.

When i removed it i had no more problems.

If kinked (fuel line), wouldn't that restrict the fuel regardless of how much is in the tank? And if the vacuum line is kinked wouldn't that also stall the bike out regardless of how much fuel is in the tank? It only stalled when 1/4 full. I ran it all day long after refueling. Never stalled out once.

I am new to this, so if I am wrong please enlighten me.

I ran my clarke with the spacer and then without once I picked up some shorter moutning bolts, I never had this issue. Clarke makes a 3.9 gallon tank only, when you first get a new tank you should always make sure there is no plastic shavings in it. I would take the tank off and check fuel petcock to see if its clogged. Get some shorter screws to mount the petcock and remove the spacer.

Does the stalling stop if you go to reserve?

I did mean Clarke 3.9. I don't know where the 3.2 came from. Please disregard.

I should also note that my friend bought an identical DRZ with the Clarke tank as well and he "ran out of gas" on the street with almost the exact same amount of gas in his tank and he was on the street.

I was planning on comparing our setups as soon as he is willing to take his bike apart along with mine.

I can't refer to the shop manual because it is an aftermarket setup and there are now two "sides" to the tank instead of one, so I don't know how the lines are supposed to be routed.

I was planning on checking on the plastic particle issue, as I had heard that could be a problem. I figure I will just take it apart peice by piece and if I find a kink or a particle of something then I will know what the problem is and if not, then I guess it is possibly a messed up fuel line.

Ross Buckingham, could you maybe post a picture of how your line is routed for my benefit? Just to make sure I'm not retarded and I could see a finished product. Thanks.

I'd like to but the bike is at the cabin...my fuel line is about 4" long. Has a "U" bend at the petcock and goes straight to the carb. Pretty short distance. Yeah, I rinsed my tank before install and got quit a bit of junk out so you may wish to remove and shake it out. Look at the fuel screen on the petcock as well. Blow it out with some compressed air. Strange it doesn't do it until you hit a 1/4 tank. May be something floating around in there and when you get to that level it restricts your fuel. Doesn' take a hell of a lot to do it either. Sorry about no pic but the fuel line is short...Good luck... :)

If kinked (fuel line), wouldn't that restrict the fuel regardless of how much is in the tank? And if the vacuum line is kinked wouldn't that also stall the bike out regardless of how much fuel is in the tank? It only stalled when 1/4 full. I ran it all day long after refueling. Never stalled out once.

I am new to this, so if I am wrong please enlighten me.

I can't see that it would matter but now that you mention it when I had the trouble with mine i was returning by road from trail riding and was low on fuel.

I had just accelerated through a series of corners and the bike died, reached down and put it on reserve and started up again and then about a mile later it cut out again.

The second time i coasted to a stop and checked the fuel level, fiddled with the switch, it started and i drove home, then i found out via this forum about my blunder with the spacer.

I had my tank installed by the dealer directly from the crate even before I had picked my bike up. The guy that put it together is a known enduro racer and I would think that he would know to rinse it out after drilling the holes out of the tank? Or am I wrong in assuming? I dunno. I'll probably drink some beers and rip it all apart just to get to know her a little better. :) Afterall, it is a three day weekend...and it is raining here. :)

The outlet for the petcock comes pre-drilled and re-enforced right from Clarke but in the manufacturing process there is some junk left in the tank. Pull your tank. Pull the petcock and blow out the petcock screen with air. Check your fuel line to see that it's clean. You know where the drain screw is on the carb? Lookin' right at ya on the bottom right-hand side of the carb on the left side of the bike. I'll still bet you just have some junk in there. Good luck... :)

Here's a photo of my Clarke 3.9 on the S model with the Mikuni carb.

This is just a gravity feed issue....I don't see how it could be a problem. As long at the float level is below and fuel level you should get gas.

On many of these "low saddle" tanks, you may find you have to stop the bike and lean it way over to the left side. As the fuel gets really low you'll find more fuel on the right side of the tank than on the left. The old dirt bikes used to have crossover lines to eliminate this problem but then that made taking the tank off more of a problem.

Hope this helps,

Ray(gravity never sleeps)Stedronsky

Davis, CAP1010003.jpg