Sign in to follow this  

Best XR250 Exhaust ?

All,

A buddy of mine just got a 2002 XR 250 and he is going through all of the basic mods listed in the: "Helpful for the New XR owner" post. However, he is curious which exhaust pipe you think best compliments this machine. He is looking for overall HP and Torque improvements over the stock system.

Also, I was looking for a DynoJet kit for this machine, but their web site only shows one available for the years 91-99. Did something change after 99, like a pumper carb ?

Any feedback you can provide is appreciated. Thanks !

If the stocker has the header welds ground down and the baffle has been removed/modified...that is about as good as it gets. Some mild performance gains and weight reduction can be made above that, but at some serious $$$. If you really want an exhaust, try http://thunder-alley.net/

IMHO, $$$ is better spent on other things, such as suspension work, Edelbrock carb, or big bore piston, etc.

Basically I was thinking more along the lines of a "slip on" system. I personally run the White Bros. E-Series on my KLX and I love it, I was wondering if anyone has any feedback about the E-series or any other muffler for the XR250.

Thanks.

I've got a friend that rides with us and he has a White Bros. supertrap. It's loud though. I've never ridden it, but he can make that bike fly, so I'm assuming the pipe performs well enough.

Mine's Gordon Mod'd. :)

I got a Supertrapp IDS2 on ebay for 125.00. It made a big difference over stock exhaust with baffle removed. I have 12 discs with a 140 main jet and 1/2 turn out on mixture. It is loud though.

I have a 1996 xr250 with an al bakers xr's only slip on pipe. I've never ridden one with the stock pipe but with it the bike makes great power. I would definitely recommend checking out their website xrsonly.com, their prices are very good. :)

I just received my Big Gun Race series from Rocky Mountain that came complete with the head pipe. There was a guy on Ebay selling one, claiming a gain of 6 hp.....I'm not buying that claim. I got a closeout deal from RMMC for $397 which I thought was a pretty good deal. No reports yet on performance, my motor is in the shop getting bored and stroked :)

Everything I have ever read about the XR stock pipe is that it is about as good as it gets. IMO the marginal gain wouldn't be worth the cost.

Jeff