Sign in to follow this  

Can a 125 be made to work in the sand?

Just got a KLX125 for my wife. Its her first bike and she's just learning how to ride, but so far she loves it. We have just been doing easy, smooth, open trails so far. A couple years ago we rented some quads and went out on the dunes. She liked the dunes allot and says she wants to go to the dunes again now with our bikes. I'm just not sure her bike would be much fun in the sand. I saw the other recent post about this, and sounds like that is pretty much the consensus -- not enough power. So my question is -- is it possible to maybe do the big bore kit, pipe, open up the air box, re-jet, and whatever else you can do to add power to get it to where it would do at least OK in the sand? She is pretty small, about 5' 2" and 125 lbs, so it would not be easy for her to ride anything much bigger than this. I don't want to get in trouble for mentioning a 2 stoke on this forum, but from the little I know from my research so far, it sounds like a KX100 might be the ticket for her. I did not want to start her out with one of those for her very first bike because of the higher seat height and power, so I figured we would start with the 125. Longer term though, if we do want to do sand at all, I'm wondering if we could make the 125 work for her. I would rather not have to maintain a 2 stroke, but I don't know if there is any way to get any where near that kind of performance in that size package by modding a 125. Plus I'm wondering if you sacrifice the reliability of this type of bike by doing a big bore kit. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

Big dunes need power, big power. You can make the klx get some big torque, but it will require some big money. It needs to be bigger than a 170. Which can be achieved by doing major work to the motor. They can be made big, real big. Personally I think she would hate the kx100, but who knows have her try one. If you plan on going to the dunes a lot, consider even a 250f or something. The sand just sucks all the power out of the bike. They also make you go through clutches.

Thanks for the input! I think the 250s are all way too tall and heavy for her. A CRF230 might work if we could get the seat height about 2" shorter (would need to do that with a KX100 too) but its still allot heavier then the KX100. Just curious -- why do you say she would hate the KX100? From what I've read, it makes allot more low end and midrange (nice usable spread of power) then the 80/85s and thus makes a good trail bike for smaller people. I've heard of some people putting CRF230 motors in a CR85 chasis. That would be awesome for her, but I hear its allot of work and expense to build one like that.

My wife rode a DRZ125L for 2 years almost before i got her a bigger bike. We rode in sand all the time and she made it just fine. She was a little slower than me on my 4 stroke 250 but she made it without getting stuck.

Gear it down a little and throw a light paddle on it. Still should be fun for her. Like you said she wont be tearing up the dunes, just riding across them.