Sign in to follow this  

YZ426 Spark plug wire

:) I have heard there is an aftermarket replacement for the potentially troublesome sparkplug wire on '00-'02 YZ426 models. Am I to believe this.

Help is needed.

Hey dude, welcome to TT. Now I dont know the answer to your question but I'm sure you will get more help in the YZ400-450F forum :) .

:) I have heard there is an aftermarket replacement for the potentially troublesome sparkplug wire on '00-'02 YZ426 models. Am I to believe this.

Help is needed.

I've never heard of a troublesome 'plug lead on 426's, let alone an aftermarket cure. :) What have you heard goes wrong with them? Nobody I know has had trouble with theirs. I have fitted a 'coil on cap' set-up on my 426 now, but there was nothing wrong with the original set-up. I just like meddling with bikes..... :p

The "questionable" information I recieved from my local Yamaha dealer after I had ignition problems shortly after a riding in wet terrain. Thanks for the input. The coil cap you mentioned..........can this be picked up at any local bike shop? Thanks again.

The "questionable" information I recieved from my local Yamaha dealer after I had ignition problems shortly after a riding in wet terrain. Thanks for the input. The coil cap you mentioned..........can this be picked up at any local bike shop? Thanks again.

The coil I used was actually off a late model Triumph Daytona sportsbike, but there are loads of bikes that run a similar set up. Suzuki Hayabusa is one that springs to mind. If you get a coil on plug cap set up from a wrecking yard, be sure to get the electrical plug with it too, and six or so inches of wire (two wires actually). Of course, if you can get a YZ450 coil/plug cap for the right price, go for that. When I did mine, a genuine coil was mega-bucks, and I scored the Triumph one for free. Do a search for 'Hayabusa coil', something along those lines, there are a few threads about the coil swap here :)