Sign in to follow this  

Broken Braking Caliper

Due to my bad habit as a rear brake dragger from my CR500 days (which even gary bailey couldnt beat out of me with a track stake), I purchased a "Braking" old style (larger) caliper for my 04 and had trouble from the start. The stocker was taking a beating and creating an over-heating chirp that just curled my nostril hairs. After installing the lovely Braking unit, the bleeder bolt was leaking at first so we put in a speed bleeder. Somehow my mechanic buddy (it really wasnt me) was able to strip the caliper body by overtightening the little bugger. Needless to say, I kept the thing when I upgraded to an 05 and am now trying to fix the expensive european metric aluminum device for usage. Braking would not return my telephone call so I just tried to email them for advice.....Today I consulted a fine gent at the local machine shop and he suggested drilling and tapping to a larger bleeder instead of trying to add aluminum and tapping to the original thread size of 7.00 mm X 1.00. The next size up is 8.00 X 1.25. I hope this will work.... :)

Does anyone have any experience or insight into this particular dilema ? Am I wasting my time with this thing or should I just put the rear pedal up like Damon Bradshaw used to run.....? Meanwhile I purchased a ride engineering reservoir extender to add fluid and cooling capability. Although I am experimenting with behavior modification ( I can actually leave the brake alone sometimes now) I hate to see the caliper become an expensive dust collector so I hope we can get it repaired and that it will hold pressure/ fluid.

thanks.

I would try going up a size like the gentleman said rather than filling it.

My experience with certain machinery at work leads me to beleive that. We never fill when there is a load on the bolt like that. We always go the next thread size up. Granted I am a superintendant who has more experience with heavy turf machinery and earth moving equipment than bike mechanics but that has always worked for me.

So does this mean you can't get your right foot to keep away from that thing?

I have a resevoir extender on mine and it seems to help. but one of the magazines recently said, which makes sense, that they don't work because the heat is in the caliper not the resevior! Good luck, I'm a bit of a hammer head, I usually screw up stuff like your buddy did.