Sign in to follow this  

?crf200r?

Ok, I finally got started on doing something with some of the old stuff I had laying around the barn. Took an older XR200R motor and am putting it in a '02 CRF450 chassis we had. Yeah, I know, might be a mis-match in the hp-chassis/suspension, but what the *H*, a lot of the trails around here are incredibly tight, rough, and slow.Engine fits in real well, almost looks "natural" sitting in the chassis. Should prove to be a rather simple conversion.

One thing I am going to need is a different exhaust. The engine came out of an '80 XR and that exhaust just ain't going to cut it. ANy body have any suggestions? Don't really want to spend $350-400(+) just yet on a exhaust. We can make minor mods, but would like to find something at least remotely close.

If the thing goes ok, are planning on throwing lights, etc on it from the XR and turning it into a street-legal DualSport.

Another mighty 200 in the works. I have one in a 99 YZ 250 frame.

For exhaust I have a FMF muffler and a custom powerbombed oversize

header. 12/51 gearing. Other than an oil cooler the motor is stock, but Im considering cam and piston. Great trail bike and it isnt too shabby for MX, for if you get passed on a straight you can have a good go at passing them back coming out off corners on the tight inside lines.

On a road race circuit, a 125 sprinter can hit in the neighbor hood of 110mph. At laguna seca, going into T2, the CRF450 cart was hitting a tad over 125mph.

The XRchassis??? Well, if you noticed, it was an '80.. abit old and had seen better days. It was used as a donor. The back wheel was put on our other '80 XR200, as its non-replacable dogs had worn out. The gas tank is on a CL77 streettracker style project. Most all the body work was trashed....faded, cracked, etc....you know, 20+ yrs of woods bashing. The suspension components for now are being saved since we have the other identical bike we are still using.

Curious of what you think of that YZ/XR combo. I always felt that for a goods woods bike, the chassis was the weakest link by far in the XR. Lot of the trails we'll be riding this on are typically 1st-2ndgear.....less than 15mph avg speed. Is that FMF silencer model specific or generic?? ANyone try one of the Big GUn units?

CharlieT~

That sounds like a sweet little project!

We would all love to see pics of your progress :)

as far as the pipe goes, i dont think you'll find anything close.

It will have to be custom made. Looks to me like you have the resources to do that.

couple peeps here at TT bought "unwelded" bbr pipes and welded them per thier bike, however those were cr80 conversions.

If it was my project, i would use the stock 450 muffler and just make a new head tube with some stainless 1 5/8 "u" bends, stepping up in size to the muffler of course :)

just a couple suggestions for ya.

..and remember those pictures!!!

I'll try to post a pic of my powerbombed header.

The bomb is 200 cc in volume. Our local

mechanic built it, hes got one on his XR 200 cart,

twin gl 145 carbs.

It works pretty well IMHO.

I think we should get some

STEEL 2 VALVE

stickers made up to stick on our hybrids.

I love my 200 hybrid, you get to crank the throttle

wide open about 90 % of the time. I trailride and play on

motocross tracks. My mate rides a RM 250 and we have

some good races. If its too open he canes me tho.

Yes, a pic please.

I would buy a larger diameter pipe for an XR 200 and massage it into place.

I've found that after mounting the motor, carb & air box and fabricating all the needed parts for a conversion, the pipe is the easiest part to do.

Oh, did I mention a pic please?

The dual GL carbs are on his cart.

Theres an old pic in my garage of my bike.

Im hoping to get some new ones but I'll

take one of the powerbomb header in

the next day or so, and post it

The worst think of the conversion is the

carb and inlet manifold setup. It has very little clearance to the frame. You have to built it all from scratch.

Id say a 4 stroke frame conversion would be easier

than a 2 stroke. More room higher up where the carb will be, on the Yami's anyway.