Clutch Help!

OK, I got my "special tool" from Motion Pro and I've taken out my clutch basket and inner hub. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to remove the kick start gear from the old clutch basket? The directions from Hinson say to use a hydraulic press? Unfortunately, I don't happen to have one of those laying around. I tried smacking it with a socket that's just smaller than the gear hoping it would jar it loose but nothing. I don't want to tear it up.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Clutch7.jpg

When I did mine, we used a press, i dont think you'll move it any other way. Your local Engineering shop/motorcycle repair shop, even automotive shop will probably be able to help you. Just think, once its out, you've got to put it in the other clutch basket, and you dont want to risk breaking A Hinson by hitting it with a hammer, also try a bit of heat on it. ?

When I did mine, we used a press, i dont think you'll move it any other way. Your local Engineering shop/motorcycle repair shop, even automotive shop will probably be able to help you. Just think, once its out, you've got to put it in the other clutch basket, and you dont want to risk breaking A Hinson by hitting it with a hammer, also try a bit of heat on it. ?

Good advice for sure. I'm definitely not trying to tear anything up. I'll make some calls. Who knows, maybe the local dealer will do it for me? Worth a try.

I would try to freeze it. ? If you throw it in your freezer you may be able to get it without a press. I used that procedure when removing bushing for the rear dog bones on my DRZ! It works!!!

Hmmm, that's pretty good advice. Hinson says when installing the gear into the new clutch basket that I need to freeze the gear and put the Hinson clutch basket in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Take the basket out of the oven and immediately press in the gear and hold it down until the basket cools.

I'll try this tonight and see if I can get the gear to move.

Well out of laziness, I called my local shop to ask if they could press the kick start gear out of the old clutch basket and the guy was like "bring 'em up and I'll do it for you". I handed him the old clutch basket and he had the gear out in 15 seconds. He put the gear in his freezer for about 15 minutes and pressed it right in to the Hinson basket.

With the new clutch, I'm switching to Honda HP 80W/85W. Not sure if it will help save the clutch disks or the basket but I'm leary of using the Mobile 1 in there at this point.

With the new clutch, I'm switching to Honda HP 80W/85W. Not sure if it will help save the clutch disks or the basket but I'm leary of using the Mobile 1 in there at this point.

You know...it should not matter. But I switched from the Mobil-1 15w50 to the Shell Rotella T 15w40 conventional oil...no issues and no worries about the moly content Mobil has *supposedly* added to the "red cap" oil...

I still use the Mobil-1 15w50 in the engine though and won't be switching that.

I a pinch a couple of old sockets and a large will make a nice press. I have used for bearings in the swingarm linkage. It will creek and make some noise when coming out if it a realy tight fit. I used a long peice of pipe over the little crank to turn it. Just make sure the socket is teh same diameter as the gear and push it out into a larger socket.

Freeze the gear and heat the basket when putting it back in and it will slide in like "buttah"

I agree, try using Shell Rotella 15w-40.

Doug

So you're saying use the Rotella in the tranny or in both sides? I'm using Mobile 1 red cap in the engine?

Side note: the tranny shifts so smooth and I can start the bike in gear again.

So you're saying use the Rotella in the tranny or in both sides? I'm using Mobile 1 red cap in the engine?

Side note: the tranny shifts so smooth and I can start the bike in gear again.

I use the Rotella in the tranny, Mobil-1 in the engine. I WAS using Mobil-1 in the tranny....and I notice no shifting difference using the Rotella.

Clutch update: After putting the clutch back together with the Hinson basket, the bike is shifting like butter. It still doesn't "roll" with the clutch lever pulled in and the bike in gear but it feels like I would expect it to feel. I took it for a quick spin on Saturday just to make sure it was working correctly. First thing I noticed was that it doesn't "slam" into gear when I pull the clutch in a kick it down.

I basically ran it up and down my street about 10 times and never made it into the dirt. On the 2nd or 3rd pass, it felt for a split second like the clutch slipped. I kind of freaked out but could not recreate that feeling again? I opted NOT to put the extra steel plate in but went with heavier springs. Clutch pull is still way easy so I doubt I'll notice the difference. Now that I've spent the money to get the clutch back together, it will be a while before I can get the Magura Hydro clutch. That will definitely be my next upgrade though.

For all those who offered assistance during my clutch troubles, thank you. You know who you are. It feels great to be able to do it by myself (even though most of the information came from the manual and you guys).

Anyway, thanks for help. ?