Sign in to follow this  

Front or Rear Sprocket??

To get some extra torque should i go one down in the front or two to three up in the rear? I know i can get real nasty changing them both out for new sprockets but i was looking to do one now.

Go one tooth at a time in the rear and leave the front alone. Going two or three larger at once in the rear is idiotic, on the R, I don't know anything about the X.

I have an 2005R. Sorry I didn't say before. How much of a difference have you seen by going up one tooth?

I have an 2005R. Sorry I didn't say before. How much of a difference have you seen by going up one tooth?

Enough of a difference, chances are thats all you need is one tooth.

A general rule of thumb is 1 tooth in front equals 2 1/2 teeth in back, or thats what my flat track buddy told me :)

A general rule of thumb is 1 tooth in front equals 2 1/2 teeth in back, or thats what my flat track buddy told me :)

Actually it's more like 4 teeth.

Example- if you start out with 13/50 and go to a 12T front you get a ratio of 4.16

If you go to a 13/54 setup you get 4.15

Easy to figure out because all you have to do is divide the rear by the front- 50 divided by 12= 4.16

I just put 1 larger on the rear last Sat. Rode it Sunday. I am not a fast MX rider but I could feel a bit faster snap. I rode a different track than normal so I don't know if there was any gear changes for the same jumps etc... My original chain had streched enough that I was able to put the 52 sprocket on & still have some adjustment. I'll probably get a new chain soon but it fit for now with the proper amount of slack. I like the feel now better for my riding.