Sign in to follow this  

230 to 125???

I have a 2003 CRF 230 and i ride only trails and logging roads at my lake cabin. I would like to get a 2-stroke 125 since they are cheaper but i also know they are sometimes expensive to maintain. I'll only be riding about 20-30 times in the summer so do you think its stupid to sell my 230 and get a 125 and have a little extra to save up for a car???? THANKS

PS how are two-strokes on gas compared to 4 strokes.

this is my opioon, and mine only......

they smoke a lot, sound like a chain saw and piss off people who are trying to relax on there weekend.

For the track they rock, but on trails not are they anent just loud (most of them) but they have a peakey powerband. little to no low and a wierd "jumppy" mid.

ALL HIGH END!!!!!

I would reccomend a yzf250, crf250 of something alond the sort. even a wr250-450!!!!! (nice trail bikes..... the wr line) :)

just my 2 cents :)

this is my opioon, and mine only......

they smoke a lot, sound like a chain saw and piss off people who are trying to relax on there weekend.

For the track they rock, but on trails not are they anent just loud (most of them) but they have a peakey powerband. little to no low and a wierd "jumppy" mid.

ALL HIGH END!!!!!

I would reccomend a yzf250, crf250 of something alond the sort. even a wr250-450!!!!! (nice trail bikes..... the wr line) :)

just my 2 cents :)

I agree with ride for ride 2 stroke mx bikes are for the tracks, If you want to save money but have a good bike look at a kdx-quite, cheap, and a allround good bike................their's my two cents now we have 4 in there.......lol :p

Dirtbikingpunk16

nope, stole ur 2 cents, only have mine left.... :p:D:D :) :) got ya

Your not going to get a fairly biased answer on a site about fourstrokes... But while on the topic if 2 strokes are so bad at riding trails how come almost everyone I see at my local trail riding spots has a 2 stroke??? What about WORCS races H&H almost all of those guys use 2 strokes. As far as I can tell 2 strokes are dominating the off road racing still. 2 strokes always have that extra power right there when you need it too.

I say get the twostroke it may have more maintenance but when you have to re-build the top end it is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier then a fourstroke

Personely I realy realy realy like the noise of a 2 stroke the 4 strokes just sound like this "blah blah blah". If i have to listen to a loud motorcycle I rather it be a 2 stroke then a 4 stroke

i would say go 2 stroke. much lighter than your crf, but wont go as far on a tank of gas. should hold less and doesnt have reserve. i would say go with the 125. it makes much more power than your 230, even if it is "peaky". dont lay around on that fart machine of yours, go with a 2 stroke.

ooh and the people about the noise issues, 2 strokes are quieter. nuff said

take a, hmm ktm 525 or a BRP against the 125, and see who is louder

what the hell, there is no camparison there what so ever. the 525 has so much more power, torque and top speed (100 something) its like compairing a 230 vs a 450 in noise. :)

two strokes and 4 stroke are like night and day. Are you on drugs man???

2 strokes the pitch is loud, 4 strokes the noise is deep...i would rather have a weedwhacker making noise than have my windows rattle

PS how are two-strokes on gas compared to 4 strokes.
PLR, to answer one of your original questions... 2-strokes use more gas, about twice as much as a 4-stroke.

As for the decibels, if a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke bike have the same level db, say 96db, the 4-stroke's sound will carry farther. The chainsaw 2-stroke sound/noise may be annoying to some people, but the brapping 4-stroke can be just as annoying to others. Or, in my case, both 2's and 4's sound sweet as sweet can be!

Beeeee-yoo-tiful man, simply beautiful. :)

:)

Beeeee-yoo-tiful man, simply beautiful. :)

:p

gay gay gay gay gay.....hahah j/k yes i agree /w/ you...(the noise thing):)

what the hell, there is no camparison there what so ever. the 525 has so much more power, torque and top speed (100 something) its like compairing a 230 vs a 450 in noise. :p

i second that :) if you wanna compar the BRP or 525 to something, compare it to like a cr or kx500

do you ride around where there's a lot of houses? if not i say who the hell cares about how loud it is :)

yeah. who cares about noise anyways? we dont need no stinkin restrictions on our bikes anyways! we dont need no stinkin riding areas either huh?

yeah. who cares about noise anyways? we dont need no stinkin restrictions on our bikes anyways! we dont need no stinkin riding areas either huh?
Pegged!

:)

wow, well put. :)

yeah okay, okay. theres has to be limits somewhere. I mean we cant have ppl out riding around in riding areas with straight pipes. actually saw an old quad somebody did that with :) sweeeeeet jesus was that thing loud. But what i really meant by the "who cares how loud it is" was that if your in a public riding area, with few houses around, a two-stroke mx bike isnt gonna be too insanely loud.

Isnt this where the thread started from? 2strokes mx bikes being too loud for trails? :)