Crf 600 X

We talked to Team Green's off road manager last year after the 500 to field a team of independent racers at the 1000. They said they would think about it, but that the higher ups that make those decisions were still distressed over Hamels death. Come on, how many years has it been now? I loved seeing KTM win just to see another bike besides an XR 650 on the podium of each class with the exception of Class 21. And look at that. DP was beat by a CRF250X no less. Will see what the 500 brings. I for one would offer a free pit to a professional Class 22 race team racing a Kawasaki just to bring them back to Score and Baja for the remainder of the year. Just as we are doing for a Husky team for the 500. With 8 pits and dry breaks this could and will be a fast, fun race. Heck, I'd pit the KTM bikes too if they wanted to use me. Let Kawasaki pick them and outfit them with a KX 500 from last year. And search the parts bin for a 17T CS. Steny

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We talked to Team Green's off road manager last year after the 500 to field a team of independent racers at the 1000. They said they would think about it, but that the higher ups that make those decisions were still distressed over Hamels death. Come on, how many years has it been now? I loved seeing KTM win just to see another bike besides an XR 650 on the podium of each class with the exception of Class 21. And look at that. DP was beat by a CRF250X no less. Will see what the 500 brings. I for one would offer a free pit to a professional Class 22 race team racing a Kawasaki just to bring them back to Score and Baja for the remainder of the year. Just as we are doing for a Husky team for the 500. With 8 pits and dry breaks this could and will be a fast, fun race. Heck, I'd pit the KTM bikes too if they wanted to use me. Let Kawasaki pick them and outfit them with a KX 500 from last year. And search the parts bin for a 17T CS. Steny

All good points...except for one...

Most of the Folks that were there to see Danny die are still around at Kawi. The Team Green Program Manager IS the same guy that WAS the Team Green "Off-Road" manager on that dark day...

As for a KX based team? Let's talk...

I'd want Johnie Braasch down there with all his tools, though ?

Maybe they could send a couple of the vans down and a Supported-Private Team could put a couple of support rigs together?

Let's see...1 team (3 or 4 riders? What's the SCORE rule on this for the 500?)

Each rider gets (aka "Buys") a bike for training and for the "Parts Collection" on race day.

1 dedicated Race bike and our bikes for back up on Race-Day.

Wheels...3 Fronts and 4 Rears + 2 more (Each) Tires? Covered mostly by "Our Bikes"..Nice Strong wheels...hopefully!

Put together some Sponsor deals...Gear, Tires, Pro-Circuit (They're still a bunch of Desert guys at Heart!)...

I'm in. I'd want to be part of an O-40 or O-30/35 team...I'm 41. All Desert Vet's with previous wins (Me...BITD '97, '98, '99 and I ride more now and weigh less ? ) and pre-run capability. That's where I'm weak...I've got Nevada dialed...I'll get lost in Mex at this point!

Anybody interested...wanna trade in those "Red Wings" for a Green Team? ?

I am all for seeing other manufactures out there but with the KX500 being discontinued Kawi doesn't really have a platform to run so financially it doesn't make sense. Possibly they have wanted to get back in but knew they don't have a future in desert racing and I really don't think the upcoming KX450 is gonna cut it and they know that too. With that said, I believe a solid team, once established, on KX500 would win. I had one that had a FMF pipe only and it was pretty darn fast, I couldn't imagine riding one of the Pro Circuit prepped 500s with tall gearing, it must have been insane and it was only around 235 or so lbs. I see the future of desert racing getting interesting now that KTM is putting effort, now we need a few more companies to step up.

All good points...except for one...

As for a KX based team? Let's talk...

I'd want Johnie Braasch down there with all his tools, though ?

Maybe they could send a couple of the vans down and a Supported-Private Team could put a couple of support rigs together?

Let's see...1 team (3 or 4 riders? What's the SCORE rule on this for the 500?)

Each rider gets (aka "Buys") a bike for training and for the "Parts Collection" on race day.

1 dedicated Race bike and our bikes for back up on Race-Day.

Wheels...3 Fronts and 4 Rears + 2 more (Each) Tires? Covered mostly by "Our Bikes"..Nice Strong wheels...hopefully!

Put together some Sponsor deals...Gear, Tires, Pro-Circuit (They're still a bunch of Desert guys at Heart!)...

I'm in. I'd want to be part of an O-40 or O-30/35 team...I'm 41. All Desert Vet's with previous wins (Me...BITD '97, '98, '99 and I ride more now and weigh less :D ) and pre-run capability. That's where I'm weak...I've got Nevada dialed...I'll get lost in Mex at this point!

Anybody interested...wanna trade in those "Red Wings" for a Green Team? ?

As a former Baja guide/sweep rider for both Chris Haines and Tim Morton-fluent in spanish-a 30+ year desert racer, and veteran Baja 500/1000 guy-----i would be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY happy to show you everything you need down there---as long as you DONT RIDE RED!

Heres another offer:

Join Brian Smuckle and myself in a Class 40 win in late May on a 239.7 lb, 56 horsepower TE510 Husqvarna! Send me a pm and we can compare notes.

-Mike

?

Why doesn't Destry Abbott come's to race Baja (or SCORE)?????

Will Be nice to see Kawasaki back in action in factory or private team. But why doesn't Montclair Yamaha's Ty Davis return's to race Baja 500 and 1000 the heavily modified YZ450F will do good in technical and rough courses in the present Baja races...........that team will do good...

In my opinion Red Bull/KTM team will do good in the SCORE Baja 500, let's hope if they field more bikes instead of one (Blais/Grider/Walch)..

DRZ Motorsports 119

Why doesn't Destry Abbott come's to race Baja (or SCORE)?????

Will Be nice to see Kawasaki back in action in factory or private team. But why doesn't Montclair Yamaha's Ty Davis return's to race Baja 500 and 1000 the heavily modified YZ450F will do good in technical and rough courses in the present Baja races...........that team will do good...

In my opinion Red Bull/KTM team will do good in the SCORE Baja 500, let's hope if they field more bikes instead of one (Blais/Grider/Walch)..

DRZ Motorsports 119

Well to do this right, we would have to get off the Honda site here and go to the Kaw and Yam site. I thought I read somewhere last year (Nov-Dec) that Destry was keeping his KX 500 until a KX 450 came out? A lot of guys don't like Baja because of the booby traps on the courses. As far as riders go, you are allowed 4 I believe + 2 more at $25.00 a piece. I can't offer pits with info here per TT rules here, but guys can PM me or email me at Bajahuskys@yahoo.com and I'll fill you in on my pit offer. I know some guys that still have Team Green support KX 500's from the 90's. I own a ex Team Green support ride, KLX 650 Stroker myself. I wish KTM, i.e. Scott Harden, would offer KTM guys a deal to race baja. I'm sure we could talk deal with pitting. Its just a matter of someone getting the ball rolling and guys pooling their money. I'm sure Honda would like to see some serious competition too in Class 22. ? Steny

Lets get one thing straight:

They dont race in Baja becouse Honda cheats-not just a little-but full on, over the top, totally uncool, freakin psycho cheatin.

KTM is testing the waters....others might follow.

IF SCORE ever gets the transponders on the bikes--then and only then will the door be open to real racing.

Ok, I admit that it was a sweeping statement for me to say the XR650 failed to deliver as a replacement for the XR600 as the bikes are similar in some ways- large displacement, bulletproof engine and easy maintenance, however I and many other riders believe that Honda didnt deliver in some areas where it could've, these are-

*lighter weight, this was the XR6's biggest downfall and even a 5kg or 15pound lighter bike would've been much easier to handle. As it turned out, the XR650R hit the showrooms a couple of kilos or a few pounds HEAVIER than the XR6.

*Bush/woods riders found that the new bike actually had LESS ground clearance and would case out on obstacles that the 600 did not.

*The bike was problematic in overheating in tight going, as most liquid-cooled bikes are.

*The new, free-er breathing airbox and filter was less waterproof and less efficient in keeping dirt out the carb/engine than an XR600.

*Although the ergos (riding position and seat) are better than the 600, the 650 is a more top-heavy motorcycle thanks to it having radiators.

*Last but certainly not least, I come to fuel consumption. My XR6 always got between 120-150 kms or 70-85 miles before hitting reserve. The best I got with my 650R was 105 kms before hitting reserve which is woeful in my opinion. This is a big consideration for people riding long distance.

This aside, the 650R is certainly a fast and capable dirt bike. Its modern (ish) suspension and aluminium frame lets it hold higher speeds under complete control in fast, whooped terrain where an XR6 would baulk. In open riding, the 650R has no peer. But in the tight it's a different story, I prefer the XR6 where its couple of kilos less, quicker steering, more controllable power and better ground clearance make things flow easier- although its no XR250!

So in short, 650 much better for open riding, but the XR600 was always surprisingly good in tight going for a big bore.

You know what I totally agree. That's why I bought the last 600 in Australia. Look at the pedigree of the 600. It was made in 1991!!!!! It romped the entire 90s and killed several competitors off.

Nah I reckon the 600 eats the 650R. Long live the 600.

(even scott summers liked the 600 more than the 650)

You know, when you pull out the cheating pointer stick, it falls on a lot of teams and not just Honda. Kawasaki practiced it, Mexican teams have practiced it, Class 21 teams have been accused of it. Why Husky did it back in the 70's. The point is, racing Baja doesn't bring anyone big bucks. No big recognition, no fan base to speak of, nothing much except the knowledge that you have done the best you could, by yourself, for miles on end. And the pure fun factor of racing a long distance point to point race. When it was just two riders allowed per team, it was truly personal. With teams of 6 riders or more, it just becomes a relay race. Lets hope other teams step up to the plate. A decade or more ago, it was Honda, Kaw, Husky, ATK, Yamaha and even BMW has shown up from decade to decade. Talk to Rocky at Cycle Parts in San Diego. He has sponsored quad teams in Score and BITD now for a decade. He is finally taking a break and turning toward motocross with quads. New sponsors are always looked for, but rarely found. Steny