can my 250f handle the sand?

Big factor also is your weight If your over 180-200 pound range your 250 will struggle. If your in the 120-140 range you probally wouldn't have to much trouble. Seen a woman on a 250 last year and she was tearing around all over no problems. Also depends on the dunes your going to that lady told me in Glamis she could motor up any dune in 4th gear but she couldn't do that At the Idaho dunes.

Here in Central Florida mostly all we ride is sand, of course it isn't sugar sand or anything just soft terrain, but I am going to tell you that sand is very hard on your bike, soft terrain is hard on bikes and sand is the worse.

Sand varies so much from place to place, and depending on the weather. In Moab right now the 250 is all you need because the sand is moist and it freezes many nights. Head out at noon when it heats up into the 40's and you can really rip it up. In the summer it just doesn't matter what motor you have, it's not fun stuff. ? But then we have all that slickrock. ?

So where are you planning on going, and when? Maybe some locals will be better able to advise you: "Oh keepers of the wisdom on where to ride, help!" ?

I take my 250F to the sand dunes all the time. I weigh about 130lbs. so I dont have any trouble in the sand with my weight, the bike goes with me fine. Just make sure you get a paddle tire (6 or 8, prefferably 6). You want one to prevent wheelspin, because if you get out there ithout a paddle your only hurting your engine. Sure the 450's will pull on you just because they have so much bottom they can get you out of any hole, but your 250 will do just fine. You'll have a blast.

Doug

i'm a canadian boy with a crf250r. i wanted to come down to the states for some dune riding but i have heard that i will be disappointed. are the large sand dunes 450 country or will my bike be able to handle it?

Like others have said, it really depends on your weight and tires. I'm 155 w/o gear and my CCC X carries me through sand washes and sandy terrain pretty well with power to spare. Although we have lots of actual "dunes", I haven't gone there yet. If you don't want to go for a full paddle tire, I had good luck with Dunlop 773's on my XR400. I'll probably try them on my X when I need new tires.

Riding in sand?? Go fast, steer with the back tire and stay back on the bike ? .

If you have never rode Glamis or Dumont Dunes you will have the time of your life. These aren't little sand hills or sand washes, this is the real stuff.Some of the biggest in the nation, if not the biggest. Dumont Dunes has steeper runs but much less dunes, were as Glamis has it all.

Some of the Bowls are like many stadiums, when riding up to the razorback, you can't tell what is on the other side, this is were you might stall it until you get used to giving it enough gas to get to the other side, and not to much were you fly over the razor and endo it.

I rode my KLX 400 out there a few times and it is bad ass.

You will need a paddle, flag pole for bike, and you will be fine.

Have Fun!