Sign in to follow this  

ACL surgery scheduled.

Well as many of us, I had a complete rupture of my ACL last May while on the bike.

I have waited this long, to get the leg really strong and ready for the surgery. I have also noticed an increased "sloppyness" in the knee lately, thus the desire to get this done.

I am now scheduled for March 16th to have the hamstring graft completed.

I have followed the postings here and read everything I can about this and I am still a bit nervous.

I had my maniscus removed in 2000 on the same right knee and that recovery was a snap. I was playing golf two weeks later.

Obviously this will be different and I know the recovery will be a lot longer. I am very active and have concerns about the down time. No riding, no golf, no skiing....... :):) I am getting depressed just thinking about it.

Oh well TTalk will have to be my support group.

MIR

I dont wish that surgery on anyone.It seems to be one of them things you just have to suck it up and get it done.

My wife is into her forth week now and is walking with out crutches and taking meds.She did not walk on her leg for a month before the surgery and lost alot of muscle tone.Now she is trying to get muscle back to help her leg from giving out.You did the right thing going in with a strong leg.

Hang in there man. My left knee is bone on bone. No maniscus left. My Fibula (head of) has a nasty tendency to rotate outward and get caught in the flexion of things. What I am trying to say is.. if its your first one on that knee, you will be up and pretty much at 'er in a couple mos. Considering you have worked so hard on strengthening the surrounding muscles. Don't get down. Find a good stationarey bicycle, recumbant or vert and pedal! Pedal! Pedal! :):):p

I have talked to others about this and maybe some people can back me up but I regret going with the hamie graft. The only reson is that my knee is strong as can be but I have a problem with flexation (bring the leg closed). I grew up riding BMX and 4 years of varsity track and football so I know what it was suppose to feel like.

I feel if I would of gone with something different that my leg would be better.

Not trying to freak you out because I may of been the exception but just wanted to warn you to look into more.

Second part: I learned this not from my doctor but when you are walking without crutches try not to limp. Even if takes you longer walk as normal as possible. You're leg will heal faster and muscles will come back faster. And follow atomictom advice, pedal like Armstrong

I have talked to others about this and maybe some people can back me up but I regret going with the hamie graft. The only reson is that my knee is strong as can be but I have a problem with flexation (bring the leg closed). I grew up riding BMX and 4 years of varsity track and football so I know what it was suppose to feel like.

I feel if I would of gone with something different that my leg would be better.

Not trying to freak you out because I may of been the exception but just wanted to warn you to look into more.

Second part: I learned this not from my doctor but when you are walking without crutches try not to limp. Even if takes you longer walk as normal as possible. You're leg will heal faster and muscles will come back faster. And follow atomictom advice, pedal like Armstrong

Wow! I didn't know you could choose a graft. I know Dr. McConkey did not ask for my opinion! :):p:)