Sign in to follow this  

what should i get?????????

:D i curently have a klx 125 with all the free mods, i have a had a xr 80 before this im 14 almnost 15 i weigh 135lbs, i was wonder what 4-stroke bike i should get. the type of rideing i do is alot of gravel roads and felid, and occasnol trip to the mountain. so i would appreiate what some one would recamend for me :):):p

I and most kids have been in the same situation as you are in now. Don't get a 85 or 125! Even the 125 you will outgrow in a year. The 85 in three months. Trust me, I've seen it happen before. I just went with a bike that was way too big for me and learned how to tame her. It's been about four months now and have her tamed. Actually, know her inside and out. I know what she wants, when she wants it, and how much to give her. I've been through a lot with that bike in four months. She's taken me up hills that 20 year olds on 250 2-smokes pee themselves just looking at. My advise is to get a 250f. They will last forever (especially the Yamaha) and if you want to stay with Kawa-zuki fine, just get a 05. P.S. You don't have to list your age on TT. We will respect you just as much if you don't. Just don't be afraid to list dimentions to let us help you out easier. Welcome to the wonderful world of Thumper Talk! :)

:p i curently have a klx 125 with all the free mods, i have a had a xr 80 before this im 14 almnost 15 i weigh 135lbs, i was wonder what 4-stroke bike i should get. the type of rideing i do is alot of gravel roads and felid, and occasnol trip to the mountain. so i would appreiate what some one would recamend for me :D:D:)

A better English Teacher! Sorry I couldn't resist :)

hey well like kx250f or a xr 250?? by buddie who rides alot said the xr 250 was week, also i hear that the kx 250f gets hot spots on the pison. i was also offered a crf 230 that i like fro 1000$, i could pull sweet wheelies but i think ill out grow it also. anyways i think that the kx 250f is too expencive like i dont have the money, and we dont have a yamaha dealer around. thanks for the help tho :)

No, I wasn't talking about the xr250 at all. I was talking about the mighty motocross 250f's like my bike. I too didn't have the money, but I worked and worked, and worked, and well, you get the point. A older YZ250(F) seems just your style though. You could probably get one used for a good deal. Maybe about $2500 or less. They are reliable and fast bikes. You just have to have someone introduce you to riding them or show you the way. A YZ250F is an awesome bike. Just ask around.

Well for what you are doing, I would say get an xr250. They may be weak in stock form, but what xr isnt? Now with that said, xrs have to be the easiest bikes to work on and the parts for them are really cheap. The also never break down so with repair cost being low you can use that money to upgrade. Well you said you rode a crf230 so the xr250 would have way better power than that so its not like the xr250s cant get out of their own way. So lets think about your options, there is no yamaha dealership by you, the kaw-suzk is to much, and the crf250 with be the same price as the kaw-suzk so look at some of these bikes, kawasaki kdx200 or 220 (2 stroke), Kawasaki klx300(4stroke), Honda xr250(4stroke), Suzuki drz250 (4stroke) or maybe look at a suzuki dr350(4stroke) rode one of those a while back and was very fun. You can get one for about 1000 bucks.

stay away from the 250f's ! new top end/valves every 10 hours!!!!!!!!! too much money, not enough bike. Get a KTM200 EXC or MXC (or atleast try one out) or a WR400 (engines last about 200 hours, with possibly no maintenance. Mine was in perfect condition after about 80 hours of use, no valve adjustments!). Or get an outdated XR400 that weighs about 350 pounds, but is still one of the best trail bikes ever made. But make sure not to get a high performance 250 four stroke (WR, YZF, CRF, CRF/X, RM-Z, KFX)

How has your 500 search been going 99WR400? That is not true whatsoever about the 10 hour rebuilds. I will admit that the rebuilds are pricey, but people like wrooster have had their bikes for five years and ride every or so weekend and are yet to rebuild. I probably have 50 hours on my bike and am yet to dig into the valves even to take a peek. She still starts easy-squeasy too. 250f topends (Especially Yamaha ones) will last 100-200 hours.

Didnt the wr400 weigh more than the xr400? My bike lasted about 8 years before a rebuild. Then again I just wanted to do that to drop the 426 kit in to give me best of both worlds. Reliability and power. Since we are getting in the 400cc class why not look at a 250 2stroke. Cheap, light, lot of power, cheap repairs. But then again we have to reamber this is for a 15 year boy comeing up off of a klx125. So pretty much the crf230 is going to have double the horse power and everything else is going to have triple + the power of that. So go out and find a bike that "you" like and ride it and buy it.

Maybe a 125. Cheap rebuilds, enough power, easy to find a good one, and will fit him (Size wise) for years. I wasn't making fun of the xr400 is any way, just it's younger brother and some of these other ones like it. The XR400 will go down in history as one of the best slow, heavy, and dependable bikes in history. I love them. My step-dad has one and every time I ride it, I'm reminded of the history of dirt biking. But even more of a history lesson is the xr600. Long live XR400

stay away from the 250f's ! new top end/valves every 10 hours!!!!!!!!!

reality check please. i have put more than 15 hours on 250F in two days (see sig). nothing happened on the third day. or the fourth. or the Nth...

hey look at that, i went four years and 4000 miles on the same valves. never seen the inside of the engine. :)

Or get an outdated XR400 that weighs about 350 pounds [...] But make sure not to get a high performance 250 four stroke (WR, YZF, CRF, CRF/X, RM-Z, KFX)

bullcrap. the original poster is 14 and weighs 135 lbs. suggesting a400/426/450 is just plain bad advice to a young kid -- at his age that would be a one way ticket to the hospital. and why the heck would you suggest a "350lb XR400"? that mass will do more to hinder the advancement of his riding skills than anything.

premirrider,

i'd suggest that you look into a yz125 (2s) or yz250f (4s). both are high quality bikes that won't kill you and are well sorted out right from the box. they are lightweight and won't grind you into a pulp; you can take your riding as far as you want on either bike. if you have any questions about the 4 stroke quarter liter yamahas, see our 250F FAQ at http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f