Sign in to follow this  

sticky forks?

Just pulled my bike out today, but the front forks are a tad bit on the sticky side. No water got to them, so Im not worried about that. Do I need to put new fork oil in it or can i use oil near the seals to loosen them up a bit?

:) Just pulled your bike out of a lake or what? (No water in fork seal?)Just kidding!

Two things to try. First loosen the front axle bolt just a little, then then do the same to the pinch bolt holding the other end of the axle at the bottom of the opposite fork leg. Finger tighten both and pump the forks a few times. Tighten the axle bolt to the proper torque and then the pinch bolt. Old style conventional forks don't like being pulled together by an improperly tightened front axle. Makes them work even mo crappy!

Next time you have the forks apart, use a small amount of fork seal grease(White Bros/Race-Tech, etc.) on the inside lip of each fork seal before you insert each fork slider. Makes them work a lot mo better!

If you think there's even a chance of water in there, tear them down now, before they rust up on you. Use good quality fork oil, and new seals, and set the fork oil to the proper level! :)

Later,