Sign in to follow this  

which one?? xr 250 or crf 230? or xr 400??

hey, i was wondering if the xr 250 was underpowered??, would the crf 230 be a better choice? :) i am 5'7 135? i was also wondering if i should just step it up to a xr 400? if so how far do the years go back on the 250 and 400? thank u to anyone who responds to this cause i have no clue :)

Well, im 5'4(with short legs for a 5'4) and 130lbs. I have a xr250, its not too tall for me. I set the sag right, and just recently shaved the seat on it. Its not too tall at all, if you can plant one foot, your good. The xr250 is way more bike than a crf230, the xr250 has a lot more power, and i think a lot more mods. But if you are a novice rider, getting to learn, and want a bike you can whip around easier, the crf230 would be a choice. My friend rides a crf230, and he likes it, but i like my xr250 better, ive ridden his bike, the ergos just dont feel as good.

about the only advantage the 230 has over the 250 is electric start. The 250 has much better suspesion and more power. My dad rides an '01 XR400R and hes only 5'6 the seat height aint much of an issue for him except in the really knarly sections. Get the 250 put a lowering link on it set the sag and youll be good to go. :)

If you are a good rider, get a yamaha WR400. Or get the XR400, the XR is bulletproof, but the WR is almost as durable (and has about 20 more horsepower). The XR400 hasn't changed since 1996 or 1997. IF you like to ride fast, get a WR400, if you like it slow and technical, get an XR400. Stay away from anything under 400cc's, you will have to ride it too hard to go fast, and you will end up with a blown engine. Bigger bikes are going to last a lot longer without needing top end rebuilds. :) I have a riding buddy that is about 5'4", and 100 pounds, and he can ride my bike without a problem. If your feet can touch the pegs, you are good. :)

At 5'-7" forget the lowering link, you don't need it, plus I assume your still growing. If not it doesn't matter, you'll be fine.

The 400s have more power and more weight, two things you don't need at this point.

Learn to ride the XR2.5 to its full potential, you don't need a 400.

The XR2.5 is a much better bike than the CRF230. After the "Gordon's Mods" the XR2.5 is quite capable. In certain situations the XR2.5 will surpass the XR4, bigger isn't always better.

The Yammies are about 2" higher in the seat, forget about them.