Sign in to follow this  

Next Project: '82 XL500

Howdy y'all! I just scored me a new can of worms! Its a 1982 Honda XL500. Currently in a bunch of diferent pieces, but it looks like most all the pieces are there. And it came with a handy dandy Clymer manual to help me put the pieces back together. I've had varying degrees of intimate relationships with the below mentioned bikes. They each had their own peculiarities: good and not so good. This '82 Honda 500 will be no different. Could any of you tip me off to the things I should look out for? :)

At the moment, the head and cylinder are off. The bottom end has been rebuilt, including the trans. The Cylinder has been freshly bored out for a .040 over wiesco piston. Head looks OK, but has carbon deposits in combustion area. I'm a bit worried about the camshaft; It has pitting on the high part of the lobes, and looks like a step worn from the rocker/followers. The lobes measure more than the minimum tolerance, so I'm wondering if I should regrind, or replace the camshaft :)

I plan on dual sporting the bike, so your input on sproket sizes are welcome.

Aside from any advice, please share your pics of your XLs, so that I know what I'm aiming for when she's all finnished!

Thanks! :p

Send the cam to Megacycle to be hard-faced and reground. That'll wake it up a bit... Use new rockers too.

Oh yeah, replace the camchain.

Congrats on your find! I'm rebuilding my 82 XR500R right now as well. I've been told to change the oil a lot and keep the cam and balancer chains tight. I recently broke the balancer chain tensioner set bolt and almost trashed the motor as a result of not keeping it tight... I think you'll like working on this bike more than your other ones because it was really well bult, and is fairly mechanic friendly. Have fun with the Honda 500 power! Hit me up if you have any ?'s... :)

I've got a '82 XL 500 as well.

I need a kick stand. I don't care if it's bent, I can fix that. Does anyone have one they'd like to sell?

I also need a recommendation on a shock absorber. The original one is shot. Are there any options besides giving Works $500 for a new one?

Sounds like your going to have fun with your new toy. I have an '82 XL500 as well, and you will not be disappointed with the power! I'm probably going to end up selling mine, but I'll keep checking in to see what your doing. Thank's,

Adam

Update: I have the cam off to be hard welded and reground. The head and vavles cleaned up nicely. I need a cam chain guide # 14620-429-000. I'm not sure if the engine itself is originally from an '82. The Engine # I have is PE01E-5006xxx. The Parts fische says the '82 XL500R eng #s start at PD02E-500006 to subsequent. Could the "D" and the "2" in the 1st and 4th position indicate a different model or year? Yikes! This is bugging me, because I don't want to order the wrong engine parts! I'll try to contact American Honda for an answer...

While I am waiting for engine stuff, touched up frame with some rustoleum - it looks good. Found a cracked ignition coil, so I may need one of those, too. Front and rear suspension feels good. Each wheel needs a spoke and is a little wobbly. Plastics has some issues, but I can live with it for a while. I'll probably put on a baja or trick headlight piece and rear fender when that time comes.

Thanks for your help!

That would almost be to an advantage wouldnt xr's have diff specs because they are offroad bikes? and xl's and enduro's

:) Thank you for the heads up, dirtbkr188! That explains a thing or two...The upper half of the Cyl head has engraved in it:" White Bros., J.W., 2-20-80", So I guess they did some work on it back then? I'll call 'em.

At this moment, my cam is sitting at Web Cams in Riverside, CA. I'll find out tomorrow if they have started to grind it for an XL500R :p . If not, I will change the order and get the correct grind for a '79 XL500 :D. Now I can deal with XR's only!!

It appears that everything else, besides the engine, is in fact an '82XL500R.

But while we're at it, the Keihin carb is stamped: "PD", then:"77AATL_". The 2nd letter "A" is within a rectangle, and the last character, the underscore, is some Japanese character that looks like a backwards 4. :) Thanks for the help so far!!! :D

You might want to go to Keihin directly, and look around for tech help, and then submit your carb number and information to them. You might have to poke around some, to find someone you can contact.

Looks like I might end up with a frankenbike when finnished. Bummer, because my plan was to have street legal enduro. The XR stator can't put out for a battery charging system and full lighting with blinkers. So basically, I'll have an XR. What do you guys think?

PS: The Cam is gonna be OK, because it is the same for either engine. But the carb is '82 XL500R, not '79 XR500.

Speaking of XL500, I had a 1982 XL500, infact rode my first HS race on it,,,wow what a beast, and boy when those drums get wet it was fun stopping, more like just slow down not stop,,lol had more pics somewhere of it, but here's the only one I found for now, thought I would share it...

1982XL500.jpg

I actually raced my first 3 HS on the XL the thrid one thu done her in, it was a long uphill in the woods, wet and tree rutted so like when 1 guy got stuck it turned into 20 to 25 guys all over the hill trying new lines, well I tryed my own line and went down, before I got up and worked may way thru the mess of riders on the hill I think I over heated the XL, it started smoking before the race was over, still ran strong, but was smoking pretty good, it got me to the finish line,checkered flag and back in the truck, but after cleaning her up and trying to start it the next day, she would not fire, kicked over but no start, so had it rebuilt, but it was not gonna be done before the next race, so I bought a 99 xr400 to race, what a difference, so I sold the ol girl to a young guy that rode it for a summer then I think he actually smoked the motor also, but it was a runner, great horse for an old timer......just wanted to share I guess... :)

Bob