Sign in to follow this  

Chains

OK, I have a YZ250f and during this past season I had to tighten my chain a few times, I bought the bike used so I'm not sure if the chain had ever been changed before or how well it was cared for (although the bike was in great shape). Would the experts here buy a new chain? Deal with adjusting it? If you would buy a new one, which one?

DID 520 ERT is one that I have heard is really good.

THANKS

Just installed a gold link DID 520 vm today,Nice chain :)

Gold links add to the bling factor :)

Would adding 'bling' do anything for me when my bike is still in first gear and I feel like I'm out of control?

Go out and take a look at the new Transworld Mx mag. They show you a good way to tell weather or not it's time for a new chain.

Some of the ways to check chain wear:

1) If you know how much use your bike gets from a chain, you can track hours or miles and replace it. If not:

2) Pull the chain from the back of the sprocket. 3 o'clock if you face it. If you can pull more than one 1/2 tooth of slack and you see the chain pull on the sprocket teeth, it shows excessive wear.

3) Pull your chain. Lay it on the edge of the links straight and with the pins horizontal and pull it from side to side. If it forms an arc more than 3 or 4 inches from a straight line, it shows excessive wear.

4) Look at your sprockets. If they are hooked or the 'U' is pulling into a 'W' shape the chain is worn and wearing your sprockets.

5) For trail use with the maintenance I use, my bike will use a countershaft sprocket every 1500 miles and a chain and rear sprocket every 3,000 miles.

Know where to adjust the chain so it isn't too tight causing damage to the engine output shaft, the rear wheel hub and the chain.

Okay guys fill in the rest.