Sign in to follow this  

Have two exhaust choices, which to take?

After a couple of months of looking for a baffle for the stock pipe of my XR350 I gave up and bought a Cobra exhaust off ebay. Nobody makes exhausts for these old bikes except XR's Only anymore.

The Cobra is brand new and would look really nice, that large exhaust sound comparison website says an 85 with Cobra rated at 92 db which would be perfect as i need to meet Michigans 94 limit this year. Since the stocker(with stock baffle) is like 86 db, I'm guessing that's enough more flow to be noticable.

on the day I won the Cobra, I recieved a Thumper Racing baffle that someone here had listed. It had been on 2 or 3 different XR's including an 80's something, so I took a chance. Got it home today.........

It FITS!!!!!!!!!!! Don't have the screw so I didn't start it to check the noise (20 degrees here too). ASSUMING it's quiet enough..................

Keep the stocker and the stealth black and sell the Cobra, get $150 back for something else :)

Or put the pretty Cobra on, enjoy it matching the pretty Renthal bars and IMS pegs, and sell the stocker for cheap.????????

oh, and anyone know what kind/size of bolt/screw is used to hold the baffle in? Locktite?

THANKS. :)

I had a cobra ISDE model for my XR250R back in '95 - I preferred the stock pipe with the thumper baffle. If it was me, I would keep the thumper baffle and re-sell the cobra on e-bay.

- jeff

ISDN? No ISDE - International Six Day Enduro. Sound limit for the six days enduro is 94 db. This pipe was supposed to meet 94 db sound limit (which is fairly quiet). I was building a bike to compete in the ISDE qualifier series here in the U.S.

It was a long time ago, I recall that the pipe was very restrictive and didn't perform well. Seat of the pants - I felt the thumper racing insert with the stock pipe performed a little better with low noise output. At the Trask ISDE qualifier - both my riding partner and myself passed the sound test @ 94 db max.

You might want to try the pipe. Also, There might be an internal baffle that you can open up a little bit to get more flow - it is probably 92 db stock - so you can "open her up" a little and still meet 96 db california limit.

- jeff

I'd go stock w/ the Thumper Racing baffle.

M6 bolt and loctite shouldnt be needed. The bolts in my baffle always used to get frozen in the pipe.

I'd go stock w/ the Thumper Racing baffle.

M6 bolt and loctite shouldnt be needed. The bolts in my baffle always used to get frozen in the pipe.

Thank you.