Sign in to follow this  

Ordered 05 cr 500 af

After much debating between the 05 450 or 05 500 af, I deceided to go with the 500 af. I do mostly dune riding is the main reason I went with the 500. I am getting the bike ported so it should really move. My buddy just got a 05 450 so it will be fun to compare the two.

You're getting it ported? Or you insane or just a gluttant for punishment? :):p

You're a lucky man and I'm sure you're going to love the CR500AF. Tons of bottom end and just a rock-solid motor.

Congratulations and enjoy! :)

I tore down my 2001 Honda CR500R yesterday. It was on it's second piston, but still running well. This was a tear down prompted by low compression readings.

Observations:

Piston, cracked in 5 places.

Cylinder sleeve, split, was original bore.

Connecting rod big end play, 0.027"... 3X the Honda service limit.

Link to pics: http://www.cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Tech;action=display;num=1108616331

I'd appreciate seeing no instagatory comments on the other board.

Bike is 3 years old to the month.

On one hand, the bike never stranded me.

On the other, 3rd piston in 3 years. 3rd connecting rod and bearings, second cylinder.

Ain't nothing rock-solid if you ride it frequently.

I just got a used 03 Service Honda 500AF a little over a month ago and have got 3 rides on it. I wish I had more saddle time on it to give you a full report but so far this thing is awesome. The 1st ride was on a private track that was really like an old school mx track with lots of turns, up and down hills, some straightaways, and small jumps. The dirt was wet and offered good traction, perfect for the 500 - just hit the gas and go, lots of wheelspin but the track wasn't slippery so it was fine. The second time was at Ocotillo Wells and it was a blast out there, although I want to gear it up, its geared 14-50 so its a little low gear. I was doing 3rd gear starts (2nd gear start would spin too much) and beating a 04 and 05 CRF450s in dragraces down some washes, although I will admit not by much. However one of the guys I raced hasn't been beaten by me (consistently) since he sold his 97 CR500 years ago and got a 00 YZ250, I still had my KX500 then, so it was cool to finally beat him after all these years. The bike seemed stable at speed (not as good as my 650) although the rear suspension still needs some tuning, kinda harsh. The cool part about this bike so far is the torque it has. You can play around in the mudhills in 1st gear or just tear a$$ across the desert at blistering speeds and it feels just slightly heavier than a CR250. We also made some tracks that we did laps on and even the sharpest corners I could leave this thing in 3rd gear and still pull hard out of the corner. But this thing will be a hand full on a MX track, I can see that already, I am going to have to be careful with the throttle. No more riding by the sound of the engine, you can barely hear this thing, it does not need to be revved at all to move fast. This thing is full tilt fun. The only negatives are that is does vibrate alot, you get used to it right away especially if you owned a 500 before and it wolfs the gas down. It came with a desert tank, maybe 3 gals, and I have already ran out of gas once, plus I have to bring more gas to the dez. I can't wait to get it to the dunes, I wish I new someone going soon.

I tore down my 2001 Honda CR500R yesterday. It was on it's second piston, but still running well. This was a tear down prompted by low compression readings.

Observations:

Piston, cracked in 5 places.

Cylinder sleeve, split, was original bore.

Connecting rod big end play, 0.027"... 3X the Honda service limit.

Link to pics: http://www.cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Tech;action=display;num=1108616331

I'd appreciate seeing no instagatory comments on the other board.

Bike is 3 years old to the month.

On one hand, the bike never stranded me.

On the other, 3rd piston in 3 years. 3rd connecting rod and bearings, second cylinder.

Ain't nothing rock-solid if you ride it frequently.

And i owned a '90 CR500R for 11 years,rode the snot out of it,and sold it with the original bore(second piston). So.............................

The 05 AF's are using the CRF 250X frame---generation 4. The 04's used CR 250 frames----gen 3.

Then there is the CR500AF Limited Edition---which uses the CR125 frame (i.e.--light). This one is still a gen 3 frame. For some reason Honda hasn't went to the gen 4 for the 2 strokes yet. :) RR.

$8350 for the 04. $8999 for 05. I'm not sure if the Limited Editions are still available but as I remember they were going for something like $9800. RR.

$8350 for the 04. $8999 for 05. I'm not sure if the Limited Editions are still available but as I remember they were going for something like $9800. RR.

Ouch !

ridiculous......... :)

The CR500 porting is rather mild compared to what it is capable of. Tq and HP are available with the right porting. 65-70 hp is achievable if that is what you want or mucho more torque if that is what your looking for. Tdub

The CR500 porting is rather mild compared to what it is capable of. Tq and HP are available with the right porting. 65-70 hp is achievable if that is what you want or mucho more torque if that is what your looking for. Tdub

Mine dyno'd at 72 with the FMF pipe. But it hit so hard I think David Bailey would be the only guy in the world that could ride the thing to its potential. My FMF kept breaking the mounts off, then it blew the snorkle part of the head pipe out! A 2X5 inch section just blew out!

I put a P/C pipe on it and its a lot mellower, ended up going down two sizes on the main jet too.

I can tell the guy that just bought the AF to dune with his buddy on a 450, you're going to humilate your buddy :)

I say you made a good move buying one! Its all about the fun factor right? Why eles do we ride and race? For my money the best years Honda made the CR 500 were 85-87. But you can't go wrong with a good, open 2 stroke for the dunes or just play riding.

I believe Service Honda gets all the motor parts in pieces from Honda and assembles them in house. It was my understanding they were using an 05 crf250r chassis not crf250x, but that could have changed for the CA green sticker.