Sign in to follow this  

Good DRZ250 Price?

Hi all. I am getting back into riding after 20 years. I have become pretty comfortable with my decision to purchase a DRZ250. Would greatly value any input into my purchase decision. I hope to partake in the forums once I obtain a bike.

So far the prices I have obtained are 2005 model $4500.00 plus tax (local dealer) and brand new 2002 model $3774.00 plus tax (200 miles from home). As far as I know there is no mechanical difference between the two model years only the cosmetic white versus yellow number plates. Is this true?

Does anyone see any reason I should avoid to buying the 2002? :)

Thanks alot for any help.

None because with the money you save you can buy some performance parts.

I have: T4 exhaust, skid plate, Tag riser, Pro Taper Fat Bar, EE bark busters, endurance computer and soon new chain and rear sprockets to get faster up certain hills. I guess mine could be sold at around $3000.

I bought a new 2001 last summer. Paid 400 extra for a 4 year warantee. Total like 3850.00. Put the yoshimura full exhaust, FRP bark busters, counter sprocket, twin air filter, rejet and it runs awesome! Drawback being the ammount of aftermarket parts available of course :)

Last fall I hunted pretty hard to find good prices on a DRZ-250. I called every likely dealer within about 200 miles, and found a 2003 holdover for $3,400 plus tax. I found a slightly lower price another 100 miles further away, and one that was being auctioned on eBay with a reserve of $3,000.

In the process of shopping, I found prices all over the map. I found new 2001-2004s being sold for between $3,700 and $4,300. I found one used 2002 in a showroom with a $3,700 tag on it.

The moral of the story: you can find a good deal, but it will take some phone calling and driving.

I have no regrets buying this bike, although I have been struggling with jetting and the aftermarket situation is depressing.

Regards,

MTB

I am planning on selling my DRZ 250 this spring for a big bore.

I'll let you all know :)

Don't get the DRZ250. Bastard Child as far as parts go. You just have to look at how many people are looking at the DRZ forums here on TT to get an idea of how limiting your choice is. OR ask a question in this forum and in the WR forum. See how many people check them out.

I don't have a WR but if that is the kind of bike you want you should look at The WR250F or maybe th CRF250X.

My wife rides the DRZ250. It is a cruiser and she likes it but you can't even find graphics for it or anything else for that matter. It weighs a ton and has no snap at all. I rode it last weekend for a while it is like riding an electric scooter compared to my bike.

One other thing I thought the DRZ250 was discontinued. :)

hmmmm what bike do you have. if you think the drz is too hevy to ride than its probley your skill not the bike. ps the bike has all the power it neads in the woods. it can get up anything and if you look at the right places thairs lots of aftermarket parts.

Thanks for the feedback Weldabike. I think the DRZ250 will suit my conservative trail riding style and I will probably dual sport it. I am not looking for a motocross bike that has a headlight on it. I am getting close to making the purchase of a new leftover 2002 for $3680.00. :)

Great choice. I was just about to purchase a leftover 2001 when it was sold out from under me. I couldn't wait any longer so I went for an 05 and am thrilled with it. It's only heavy if you lay it over too many times. A great trail bike with plenty of power for me.

I love this bike but I may sell it as well. I weigh 220 lbs, I am riding faster now and I am having problems with it as it is.

Let me know if you did not buy that great bike you're talking about.

Mine is an 01. Whatever nada.com says, will be the price, +100 for some good after market parts I have on it. I live in Phoenix, thought, shipping will cost a bit.

I am picking up my new 2002 in a week. :)

Now if the 14 inches of snow on the ground would melt I could ride it.

I just found a new 2001 DRZ 250 leftover and grabbed it for $3,400 with factory warranty. Make sure the dealer does good prep work. Mine had been sitting w/ gas in it since '01 and the carb had to be cleaned out and tank drained. Other than that the bike is just like a new '05.

I own a 2004 TT-R 250 and the DRZ is practically the same thing. These are great bikes but I would pay no more than $4300 OUT THE DOOR for a new one. The dealer I bought mine was great and the got me in at $4150 out the door :). Get it and ride the crap out of it :)