Sign in to follow this  

Supermoto

Anybody have a Supermoto KLX? I would like to get a second set of rims and tires for street riding and keep my dirt tires and rims for the dirt. Can you fit rims from a used street bike or do I have to buy new ones to fit? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

I assume you mean a KLX400, which is a DRZ400. Which uses the same front end as a 96-98 RM125 or RM250. These fronts can sometimes be had on Ebay for $80 or $100.

I don't know about the speedo hookup since I used a Trailtech computer instead. Ask on the DRZ forum, you might get more info.

If you have a different KLX, some of the KX dirtbikes may share parts.

Devon

Oops, forgot to add my bike to my sig :)

It's a KLX 300R.

The RM parts will give me the same thing that I have. I need 17" rims front and back.

Thanks

Dave

I'm racing my 300, bored and stroked to 365 with a 36mm mikuni pumper.

you can use hubs from the klx 650 or 300. I used the rear from a 650c which was the street version so I could have a cush drive (really smooths out the thumpy power transfer), I only had to shave down the right side spacer as the hub is the tiniest bit wider though you can just force it in too. My front hub is from a 650 too. The kx's use bigger axles or so I have been led to believe, I did look into using kdx hubs but never got to the point of actually trying it. The klx650r hubs are a direct swap but you need to use the rear disc from the 300, for the front disc you can use an ebc oversize supermoto 320mm disc, it comes with the relocation bracket to use the stock caliper.

If you want to build up some wheels store.eastcoastwheels.com has my spoke lengths on file using the c rear, good package deals there but calling works better than emailing. He can also get you the ebc disc.

It works great for racing, way lighter than anyone thinks and plenty fast. The last race I was drag racing an xr600 down the front straight and he couldn't even put a bike length on me and I suck as a racer.

Gearing for a short track is 38 14, I keep a 15 and 16 handy just in case but I doubt I would use bigger than the 15. Your results may vary, the 365 is a super tourquey motor so you may use lower gearing.

Here's some photos of the bike and my semi timid racing style, the other guy (Mike) races ama pro (red bull and all that) so copy his style, he's stupid fast and my mentor (like i'm going to go that fast). He likes the klx as a supermoto bike too though he races a crf450, he felt it was easy to handle and plenty fast for the non pro classes.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/subterraneancycle/supermoto/

Forgot to add, there have been guys that use street wheels but they are mostly in the u.k., If you go to the klx650 yahoo group and do a search for "supermoto" you will get some hits. I think the wheels are from a european only bike. I would be a little nervous doing the jumps on 3 spoke street wheels anyway.

race on,

tim

Thanks Tim,

I'll look around for some hubs and price out the rims and spokes. That seems the best way to go.

Dave