Sign in to follow this  

JD jetting /stock jetting - TE-510

Thanks to DomenicWTF we installed the JD kit tonight. Domenic suspects my dealer was in the carb as the bike's carb jetting was a 52 pilot jet and the clip was at the 5th spot not the 4th.

We installed the red needle and clip at the fifth spot but per JD we went with 172 main per JD's e-mail to me, not the 175 as I wanted it jetted for 3500 - 4000 ft which is a end of the range as the 175 main jet which is for 0-4000 ft.

we installed a MSR extended furl screw and Domenic at first found no o ring on the stock fuel screw, then we saw it down in the hole for the screw but Dom thought it might be broken in ther...i dont know....we put the bike together and set the fuel screw out 1.5 turns.

I rode the bike, Im at about 300ft here.... the bike seemed to have more response and improved power, cleaner..although I remeber it being perfect as it was........now on heavy test deaccerlation it is poping slightly. we put the fuel screw back at 1.25 out and dom rode it and made it pop and I saw a back fire. so jeez maybe the o ring is messed up? I dont know....

anyway does anyone know if the stock pilot is a 52 and the stock clip should be at 4th spot...meaning did my dealer get in the carb..I'll ask him that....maybe he did and thats why it ran good....anyway it ran great before and now I have a slight pop on aggressive deaccerelation however you spell that.....whatever..any comments?

oh yeah i forgot. i send JD a email about the poping. and the post above. I see what he says.

I'm going to bed semi unhappy - why did I spend 60 bucks and have you do all that work for poping exhaust? The bike was perfect as was from the store..

It was richer than a pig :) It snap wheelies now :) a little more fine tuning to perfection. If you want a 510 to run like a 400 we'll put it back to the way they had it. Try turning the fuel screw out to 1.75 and report your findings before getting all worked up. See you next weekend :D

ps...Exhaust head pipe leaks can cause the popping also..We may have to use the blue needle or red clip 6. My old wr would pop at high elevation, had nothing to do with being lean. :p

well the good news is while you were sabotaging the wolf, I was selling the DRZ to that guy. Today should be the day he brings a cashier's check and the DRZ is out of here! Boy I spent some coin on that bike. That's why I'm so determined to keep the quality stock bars and other components on my 510. I bought a quality bike. I'm not getting all caught up in mods this time around, no need to. :)

thanks again Dom for wrenching while I was selling. hey maybe we could start a business. You do the work and I do the talking :D

ok I'll talk with Dan today about the stock pre-Dom wheelie JD jetting and ask about the O ring. If we get a break in the rain this weekend maybe I can scoot over to prarie City for some more test rides and try the 1.75 FS.

I wonder if I'll miss the DRZ, LOTS of ride memories on that bike. My first day ever at Foresthill...ahh look how happy we were. :)

http://images.snapfish.com/342%3B963923232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D384%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E2323476%3B9%3C733ot1lsi

the DRZ and me were a Team!

http://images.snapfish.com/342%3B963923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D384%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3A874887ot1lsi

we went everywhere,

http://images.snapfish.com/342%3B963923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D384%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A%3A6%3B3674ot1lsi

and the Hot Lips avatar is world famous:

http://images.snapfish.com/342%3B963923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D384%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E2323498944962ot1lsi

Adios big blue, you been a good bike, now the TE-510 says don't let the garage door hit you on the way out :p

Ok I talked with Dan. all he did was open up the fuel screw some to make sure the bike started good for the new buyer - me. :) he did not open the carb up. Dom do you remember the stock main jet size ? just curious.....

Dan will have an FS - O ring for me next week.....so we can look again and replace that one if it's in there or not or broke or?.

I bet opening that fuel screw at Folsom elevation will end the popping.then when I go higher I can adjust it back.

THE DRZ guy takes the bike today at NOON. sold it for $3900, the bank balance pay off is $3918.56 a perfect deal for him and me.. :)

So, coming on this late, why did you play with the jetting again at 300'? I ride down here in San Diego from sea level to 4,000 feet (Laguna Hansen, BC). The 510 wont run clean in that range stock?

185mj..normal size with a d-taper needle. You may want to try the blue needle, but when the temps warm up the red needle will be the ticket.. :) I'll be back in town late Monday, off Tuesday if you want to try a new setting. I still would go with a little bigger main and maybe smaller pilot air (I have spares)..Anyway congrats on the sale.. :) and your bike runs allmost like my WR :p

If the bike was perfect, why did you bother to change it?

Greg

I'm going to bed semi unhappy - why did I spend 60 bucks and have you do all that work for poping exhaust? The bike was perfect as was from the store..

Sorry guys I was a little tired last night and my posts are not very clear on several points. let me try again:

300 ft question: I live at 300ft but I asked JD advice for 3500 ft. That is what we jetted it per his instructions I ride up in the woods at 3000-5000 ft normally. I live at only 300ft and only mentioned that as reference to the very slight occasional popping on agressive deaceleration testing here at home.

when I go up to my normal ride elevation it may be perfect or it maybe I need to adjust the fuel screw some. light occasional poping in my experience means the bike is lean and needs a touch more fuel solved by simply opening the fuel screw a bit.

why did I change the bike if it was running perfect. Good question it ran good at 300 and 3000ft last weekend. i had allready ordered the JD kit assuming I need to re-jet for 3000-5000 ft. I did not order the kit to squeesse out some more performance though I expected from the reports it would and I did notice a small more response and other power feel improvement with the kit, a small improvement nothing to write home to mom about unless you are an A rider which i am not......I saw two others had used the JD kit for the huskys and liked it, explaining its improvement over stock, I also saw one post where a 510 owner said the JD kit really did little change for him. I chose to install it because I wanted to do something for my ride elevation, occaionally I do ride even at 5-6000 ft and I'm pretty confident any stock bike needs some jetting for that level of elevation change....so instead of changing the stock set up I decided to let JD give me anew needle and jets and all that has he is the king of jetting.

final say, I may notice more improvement in a few weeks. I am glad I did the JD kit. I needed to compensate for elvation and this does it with a better needle resulting in slightly more throttle response.

I was just tired last night and disapointed that my new jetting was lightly quietly and occasionally popping a bit ever so slightly on aggressive deacceleration. I will get that cleaned up.

the Kit is only like $65.00 I think it was. bottom line my review is: If you need elevation change jetting go for it. If can tell the small differnces then go for it. If you love your stock bike as is - keep it too....all three options work for the TE.

it's Not like my DRZ where the jet kit changed the whole bike and added great improvements

There I hope that is a helpful write up. I am a 2 year newbie remember not a great technical source for opinions, and sorry for the emotional first report above. I get like that. :)

Popping means that it is lean in pilot/FS area. If you jetted it for 4K + ASL then of course she will pop at 300'. Turning the FS out should decrease popping. Should run great once you get her up in elevation. If not and it still pops with the FS out 2.5 turns then you will need to go up on the pilot one size.

Stock needle is very lean and they offset this with a very rich pilot! This combo is fine as long as you are flogging it. The problem is when you do slow techy stuff the overly rich idle circut want to flood, stall and be hard to start when you try to restart.

I used to believe that a big pilot jet helped throttle responce, what I learned from JD was that to burn the marginally automized squirt of fuel of an accelerator pump the combustion chamber had to be hot! Thus I think its reasonably safe to say you can get throttle responce from being rich all the time (big pilot) or from being lean and transitioning to rich on the twist, that is JD's way. We could not get to the readings he wanted on mine with a 45 pilot, it took a 42, the 55 that they come with clearly was getting responce the other way, rich all the time.

As for pooping, we learned a lot about that with the KTM's starting in 04 they went to a siamesed header pipe. When they weld the pieces of head pipe together warpage is common so the fit at the head is often not the best and pooping on compresion has been a constant thorn ever since those siamesed pipes came out. Additionally pooping can be a result of lean idle mix as the post above refferences. Husky head pipe has the same design as the KTM but better quality so this has not been much of an issue, however what works on the KTM's is;

Remove the entire exhaust system, go to the auto parts store and get high temp silicone, put a coating on the inside of the head pipes where they slide onto the manifold, re-install and tap them on with a rubber mallet, leave all the bolts loose until all is assembled, wiggle the pipes, tap on them etc to insure that they are totally seated onto the manifold, tighten your bolts, let it sit over night before starting.

Popping means that it is lean in pilot/FS area. If you jetted it for 4K + ASL then of course she will pop at 300'. Turning the FS out should decrease popping. Should run great once you get her up in elevation. If not and it still pops with the FS out 2.5 turns then you will need to go up on the pilot one size.

correct-o moondo. I turned the screw out to 1.75, then 2.25 and she runs fine.

Since I don't ride here at home, I'll turn it back to 1.75 and leave it. That big beast 510 likes the fuel. It was used to that stock 52pj, and that 45pj come with the JD kit is a ways down from there. Also its cold and damp out lots of air available, so it needed fuel. Now if this rain would go away, I could ride all weekend and be ultra happy.

so simple I knew this answer from my experience with my DRZ, took me all night, six posts and some good replys like yours to get my head straight and deal with it. one little turn of a screw was all it took. :)

(late edit) poping was reduced around my house but at the ohv ride park on a real ride, the poping continued........ no bueno, see posts below)

PS dave I just read yours - thanks for the info.

Bob, I go thru the same prob. on my bikes, working on them down here, figuring out what'll work up there. I got it down to a tad lean at sea level, screw with the screw up at the hill.

Remember when I told ya to write everything down?? We were talking 'bout suspension then, but it applies to all aspects..

Start a Wolf Bible!

In the beginning, God created the Wolf and he saw that it was good. then he created the earth and light and dirt and trees and trails and hot women. The Wolf rides all. :):):p

With all due RESPECT to james dean and Dave and other more experienced husky pilots, I rode my bike today at the local ride park and the bike in my hands is worse off with the JD kit. I'm going back to stock. Stock was awesome and perfect in every way, every gear, every twist of MY hand. I have learned my lesson. Trust Husqvarna. Let me try and state my case, using Dave's valuable and appreciated by me, post from above:

1.) "Stock needle is very lean and they offset this with a very rich pilot! This combo is fine as long as you are flogging it."

- not sure about the flogging part.....but yes stock jets are richer then JD's on my 05 TE-510. Stock was 55pj and 185mj, FS 2.0 turns out, (the dealer had outed the FS to 2.5 supposively to help starting.). the stock husky 510 needle was on the 5th clip, while JD gave me a 45pj and for normal elevations 175 mj with his red needle 5th clip. The only change I did was 172 mj for elevation concerns as per JD. so agreed the JD way is apparently rich needles, lean jets, opposite of husky's way- rich jets , lean needle.

side Comment: DomenicWTF my good ride friend who has done lots of jetting on FCRs on yamahas, and helped me / did my JD kit said when he saw my stock jetting "somebody has been in this carb" look how rich these jets are. "Rich as a pig" he said........my response: Husqvarna engineers and their family of ride/race riders have been in that carb. It was perfect stock FOR ME. I don't do radical quick throttle opening. I'm a C rider and go alot faster on my husky then ever before becasue the bike can and because that suspension is so glued to the ground safer then my DRZ softie stuff..point is I dont look to Twist the trottle / snap it open to wheelie and I don't ride WFO. I ride 0-1/2 open and occasional 3/4 open with moderate rate of change not fast twists. - could that be why I like my stock jetting? do you have to be a A/B rider to see what JD has to offer? I'm not convinced, because my ride today on my TE-510, with JD's kit, did not go well at all. I'm not that dumb or slow that I can't tell what works and what don't.

2.) "the problem is when you do slow techy stuff the overly rich idle circut want to flood, stall and be hard to start when you try to restart."

I never had any problem starting the bike nor did I have any problem on slow techy stuff The WOLF owns the Woods, other then the stock settings on the fork, needed to be softened for rocks.

3.) "I used to believe that a big pilot jet helped throttle response, what I learned from JD was that to burn the marginally automized squirt of fuel of an accelerator pump the combustion chamber had to be hot! Thus I think its reasonably safe to say you can get throttle response from being rich all the time (big pilot) or from being lean and transitioning to rich on the twist, that is JD's way."

- sounds like you buy that both ways work.......for me JD's way on the 510 is not comparable, maybe this time he applied his standard thinking to a bike that is not what he expected. Did he dyno test his kit on a 05 TE-510?

after riding my bike, I think FUEL is the key ingrediant in combustion. FUEL makes power. Honestly with all respect again, I was shocked at the difference today with JD kit, the bike lost power and response especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. I was already in 3rd gear before I left the staging area. I was in 4th, 5th and 6th gear most of the ride.......I used to be skeeered of 4th gear. The bike ran like it had lead weights, and response..forget about it especially in 3rd gear...worse response ever.....I was having a cigarette waiting for the power to kick in.

4.) "We could not get to the readings he wanted on mine with a 45 pilot, it took a 42, the 55 that they come with clearly was getting response the other way, rich all the time."

so the 450 has a 55pj? hmmmm my 510 has a 55pj too and you could not get what JD and you wanted with the JD 45pj and yet his instruction for the 450/510 kit say go with 45? I think JD has given me his stock answer and it didn't work for me either, probably seeing how I have the 510 it probably worked worse..

5.) As for poping, ..........siamesed header pipe..yada yada silicone your pipe.....onto the manifold, re-install......"

- lets not get off track, the bike was fine stock, the pipe and header connection is fine.

ok re-reading it all, I believe this now: JD's way and what Dave is talking about may come down to the rider and his approach to the throttle..maybe hard quick twists and 3/4- wfo gets that JD rich needle to kick in the fuel and do what you say it does atmoized whatever......and maybe the TE-450 in your condition in tight stuff felt wierd.? My 510 in tight stuff in my hands felt GREAT as it was.

Dave please I hope you don't mind me using your post to state my case. I really like your helpful posts and again I am a dumb newbie BUT I ride every weekend.....and I know what I felt out there today. from now on I trust Husky.......no more mods for me. Not even the suspension. that stuff WORKs it keeps me on the ground and I can TURN I mean RAIL that bike in tight turns and on big sweepers I feel safe.....not like with that jap soft stuff I allways wash out.

HUSKY RULES!!! I want another one, need two of those bad boys in my garage.. LOVE em. :):p:D:):D

ok Bob.

I am ready to start playing with my 510's carb-to be honest i havent had the problems others are reporting with the 450. My bike doesnt flood, starts easy, and has a good off-idle response. Most of my riding is in Baja near sea level to 3-4K ft...so far I havent been past 3500 feet...but so far its very good. Of course that doesnt mean it cant be better and for sure its worth finding out if there is more power and response to find...i suspect so as i am getting very bad milage--about 25 mpg--a sign things might be rich. My 650R gets about 30mpg with a 41mm carb...i dont think the RPMs are the difference. It might be the airbox, but most likely its the settings in the carb.

As for popping on hard de-acceleration- i havent had any of that--but i am only on hour 6 and still breaking it in...havent been really railing it so far. That will end at next weekends San Felipe 250! I did notice some blow by at the header mid-section union. Not a lot, but still there was a bit.

What final settings did you end up with?

Needle and clip position

Pilot jet

Main jet

Screw position

Thanks,

Mike

ps i will share what i end up with...

if you read my post above you see I'm not happy with the JD kit for my 05 TE-510. I think, this is my opinion, based on my experience now that the 510 is better off with the stock jetting and needle.

MY setting will be when I go back to stock as it was last week:

Stock needle - 5th clip

FS - 2.0 turns out ( as I get higher I can turn it in as my dealer said just use that FS to do minor elevation adjusts) I do know at 0-3500 ft the bike ran perfect, don't know about higher, suspect at 5000 ft it will need some adjust of that fuel screw and higher obcourse wil need smaller jets, but rarely go over 5500.

Stock PJ is 55

Stock MJ is 185.

Those are gonna be my settings and they are as the bike came. I have 5 hours on the bike. Boy this bike turns so cool, I felt like ricky C out there today......I so needed to get off that dual sport DRZ.

correction my stock pj was a 55 not 52. Domenicwtf must have been blind that night we did the JD kit. Dom I just looked in my kit and the only pj there is a 55. that must have been mine not a 52 like you said in your post above. and that stock husky needle looks way different then the jd needles

I'm going in myself and re-jet per stock. I miss my bike. :)

so changing from the stock 510

55pj

185mj and stock needle at 5th clip

to a JD 45pj and 175 mj and his slimer needle at 5th clip is a boat load different approach that is for sure.

aaaahhhhhhhh My bike is back! yay! and I did the rejet by myself in like 45 minutes. SO EASY. Dom why didn't we follow James Dean's little instructions. JD's instructions with the kit show you how easy it is on the Husky to simply rotate the carb top toward the kick start right side. First you remove that rear brake fluid resovior just like JD says to do, remember that little round fluid box that we hit putting the carb back in......... Good instructions JD! thank you for that. I took the JD needle out dropped in my stock husky needle, went over to the other side and replaced the main and pilot jets back to stock.........all done. simple..

I also read the husky manual found that the 510 has differnt FS setting then the 450 it wants 2 turns the 450 wants 1.5 see the 510 is different then the 450. the 450 has a 180 mj while the 510 is 185mj........ the big bad wolf is a thirsty boy!!

and you don't have to take off the rad guard plastic at all...so easy to get the seat off, top blue plastic off and tank off - bingo, done simple, just like people told me the HUSKY is quality parts and easy to work on!! :)

I can't believe little old poor mechanic me re-jetted my bike........I'm a husky man! :)

in the end let me say I think I can tell now what JD is trying to do with his set up, on the street last night around my house it seemed like his feel was allmost there for the bike but once out doing a real ride at a OHV ride park today with the 510 on JD's kit it was like the old war movie "a bridge too far" The JD kit just doesn't get there.

that's all My opinion. Everyone has to make their own choice. The kit is inexpensive, super easy to install and remove again. if you want, go 4 it some other TE-510 owners and tell us what you find. My humble advice is for the 05 TE-510 is stay with stock jetting and needle.