Sign in to follow this  

Radiator braces vs guards?

I had an unfortunate encounter with a tree last week that mangled my right shroud and bent my radiator back. Fortunately I have braces on my radiators but after inspecting the brace (it appears to have folded pretty easily) I'm not sure how much protection they really add. Are radiator guards stronger than braces or do they provide the same support with added protection on the front? Should I recycle the braces for guards? Which ones are best? :)

Check out Rooster Performance http://roosterperformance.com/

I've taken some hard hits with these on my bike. Had one encounter with a tree that buckled the Rooster brace but no damage to the radiator other than having to bend it back forward once I straightend the brace and put it back on.

I'm running carbon Fiber Works aluminum gaurds and they do a good job. I've already ripped of one radiator (plastic) shroud and the radiator and aluminum gaurd are still in great shape. I learned a few bikes ago to put radiator gaurds on brand new bikes because I hit trees and bend radiators if I dont have gaurds.

I also use Works Connection guards. I bent the right side a little bit, but I like them. I was a gnarly crash where I was going about 30mph through the whoops and started swapping. The bike hit the bottom of a whoop at a 75 degree angle and just threw me. The bike flew into the next whoop, bent the brace a little, and broke the Tusk D-Flex handguard. I guess that was asking a little too much from a thin piece of aluminum. I think that it is supposed to bend a little then stop, because I've hit it a couple hard times after that and she stayed strong. WC aren't bad, but I know that there are some better ones out there. I just don't think that you can beat the price. By the way, if you want some new WC braces, there are some going at eBay for $35 now.

I would like to put in a good word for Devoll radiator guards. I've been using them since the '80s on various bikes and they have saved my bacon many times, and I seem to crash more often than most everyone that I know. The ones I have on my YZ250F bolted right up. I had to bend the bottoms in just a bit to clear the front fender during turning.

I have a buddy who ran those Works Connection braces on his CR250 and he totally killed a radiator on a tipover. He said that he never felt much of an impact but his radiator turned to junk.

I run both the MSR rad guards and the Works Conneciton rad braces. They hold up well to any impacts. Unfortunately I did not have either the first couple of rides to both rad are a bit tweaked. This required some ingenuity to get the damn things on.

ive been looking into these as well. The rooster ones look decent, but it seems like they bolt to the radiator. Some of these guard/brace manufactures are boasting that theirs are bolted to teh frame, therefore making them stronger and better. I cant decide, and i hate throwing away money on something that im not confident is quality. My dad always taught me quality may be more expensive but that expense usually comes a lot less often...or something like that, you get the point.

Warrior, the roosters bolt to the frame in the front and rear, and the outside bolts go through the radiator bolt holes, bolting the front and rear together.

so then it seems like the rooster guards would be a good pick. I have their slidplate (recommended here on TT) and have no complaints, but then again, i have nothing to really compare it to.

I just got a pair of UnaBiker guards and they look really cool and are solid. Ive got more pictures of them in my garage but here are a few.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=2476&thumb=1

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=2475&thumb=1

Thanks all for the info.

It looks like the unibiker setup might be the sturdiest. On the unibiker website the only setup I could see is for the suzuki which is different than your pictures on your WR - both the brace and the guard. From the picture it looks like the material they use is a bit thicker than on my WC braces. The unibiker guard also look like there is space between the face of the guard and the radiator whereas there is no space on the roosters.